Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

rearing shanjings from eggs

rigsby

Reaction score
has anyone any experience rearing shanjing ,mine have bred at the first time of asking and i now have eggs but could do with a few tips on how to bring them on ,my main concern is the temperature as i don't want them to morph too small but any info will be welcome.....thanks in advance...ian

newtboyuk

Veterinarian
Reaction score
Congratulations!

Based on my own experience, I've found a temperature of 19-20C works very well. At this temperature they took 2 months to morph and all at a length of about 6cm. (Whether or not this may differ depending on the geographical origin of the newts, I do not know.)

I would add that its important to give them lots of space and plenty of cover - they like sitting in elodea/on top of rocks - and it means theyre less likely to take chunks out of each other. (which they have a habit of doing, even when well fed!)

One of the things I think helped me very much was that they got used to eating frozen bloodworm quite quickly - this made feeding much easier and importantly meant it was easy to feed them a large amount of food frequently (providing water changes were done properly).

All the best and keep us posted!

rigsby

Reaction score
thanks Mark..i wish my fire sal larvae would take frozen bloodworm its costing me a small fortune in live stuff but if the shanjings will get used to it that will help. Mind with all the other species of larvae coming up to blood worm size i'll still have to dig deep..Can you remember how long the eggs took to hatch ,i've seeded the tank with daphnia and have a very large culture to keep them and all the others going....ian

newtboyuk

Veterinarian
Reaction score
Sounds like you'll have your hands full!

They took between 10 days to just under 3 weeks to hatch

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!