Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Nitrofura-G treatment-turn gills white?

accidentalfan

Reaction score
I have been plagued with fungus for too long now. Just when it seems to be clearing, it flares up again. Salt baths help, (I've been doing them once a day for 2 weeks or so) but by the time the next time for the bath comes, they have it again. Sometimes it even appears gone, but if I skip a bath, it is back full fury.
I read the health page, and was only able to find Nitrofura-G at the stores. I put it in the water using the manufacturers doses as the health page advises. THEY HATE IT! Luna has his tail poking streight up, and all three have to go for air constantly. I tripled the amount of air in the tank, but am concerned with too much flow.
Today when I checked (12 hours after treatment began), their gill "feathers" have turned white. They may be light, light blue, hard to say with the blue water, but it is quite disturbing to me, and I cannot tell what potential damage it may have done to the fungus/bacteria, because the tank is so blue.
Is this a normal side effect when using this treatment?
Does it hurt their gills, or does it mean the gills had bad bacteria on them?
Do I still give salt baths?
Should I stop treatment and go back to baths alone, maybe twice a day instead?
I don't know what to do!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Yikes! It definitely sounds like you're burning their gills. I'd get them out of there immediately.

You should use half or a quarter of the dose (or a dose recommended for scaleless fish) when treating axolotls.

Salt baths should be done twice a day. Have you used this in conjunction with fridge treatment?

accidentalfan

Reaction score
Burning gills?!

OH NO! I'll get them out right now!
I've been keeping the temp at 62. The Salt Baths can be twice a day then, good to know. I'll stop this madness right now.

How long should it take to see results? And, how long after the visible signs of fungus are gone do I stop treatment? (Salt Baths)

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Salt baths should work within a week or two. 10 minutes, twice a day is the recommended duration. I would continue them for 2 or 3 days after there are no visible signs of fungus.

accidentalfan

Reaction score
I'm nervous to do the salt, they look very stressed

They look better now that I have taken them out of the blue tank, but they turned bright red when I tried the salt bath.
They are still pink in the tail, but there is no sign of 'fungus' anymore.
Should I do the salt baths anyway? It seemed to hurt. My usually calm and compliant female freaked out swimming wildly and almost jumping out of the container. One of the others behaved the same.
I decided to wait a day or two to see if I could see a lessening of pink/red vains in the tail and feet before preceeding with the baths, at least see if they would settle down first.
Is that a bad idea?
Hope to hear back from you...
Thanks.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Is the water for the salt baths the same temperature as the tank water (or the water they're normally kept at)? A sudden change in water temperature can cause 'freak outs'.

The saltbaths are somewhat stressful. Being moved, placed in a tiny tank, etc. This can cause increased redness. How long has it been since you've seen signs of fungus?

accidentalfan

Reaction score
At the time I wrote this the fungus returned daily. And to answer your question, I think the temperature may have been wrong. That makes a lot of sense.
I started a new thread because it had been so long since I replied to this one. (still red and very small)
I appreciate your help, and hope you will keep it up!
Thank you very much.
2/3 are looking much better! :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1