south louisiana reptile show

jshadowstalker

Ambystoma Enthusiast
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
jody fabre
new orleans,la. well the show was nice ..very clean and animals displayed nicely over all. i was over all disapionted that there where only 3 fire salamanders and 1 lesser siren there, bet there must have been 3,000 frogs there ...lol. anyone ever go to the texas show's ..i was wondering if there where more salamanders or newts there. thanks jody fabre

anyone ever go to the texas show's ..i was wondering if there where more salamanders or newts there. thanks jody fabre
I've not been to shows in the US yet, but if the "reptile" shows are anything like they are in the UK, most of the amphibians are frogs and toads. Salamanders and newts are rare, if present at all. The interest in Dart Frogs (or as I always knew them, Poison Arrow Frogs) is much greater than the interest in newts and salamanders and probably always will be.

If what I hear about IAD (International Amphibian Days) is true, their cup doth not exactly floweth over with salamanders and salamander people either (thought it's a heck of a lot better than most reptile shows, or so I've been told).

In my three experiences with IAD, the only vendors selling any caudates were Michael and Paris. Although I am not too much of a frog enthusiast, I really thought that there would be more treefrogs and horned frogs and whatnot. PDF's definitely made up about 95% of the animals present during my visits. Still a good show though. As far as caudates being present at the other shows in the SE US that I have attended, as John stated they are few and far in between. However if we are talking about the selling of mass importations of WC animals then this is not a bad thing.
Chip

thanks guy's ...guess i'll just try the next north texas show and cross my fingers...

Where and when is that Jody?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back