baby marbled salamanders not eating

Frozenblade45

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi i am new here,
I have some recently morph marbled sallies thats not eating anything! I tried blackworms, bloodworms and baby mealworms but they dont seem to be interested. some help please?:(

it may be best to experiment with different foods ,try very small crickets i have a small slimy that loves them .remember if they have just morphed it could be a week or more before they show interest in food.

I had a morph that would not eat for weeks. I finally caught a pinhead cricket by it's back legs and put it in front of the little guy and it ate it with no problems. Just be patient and give it time.

Many metamorphs don't eat for a while, sometimes weeks, after metamorphosis. That's not to placate you, but do keep an eye on them.

I would say that bloodworms and blackworms are not suitable as food for Ambystoma metamorphs; they are aquatic foods, and the sals shouldn't be in water. The mini-mealworms might work; some morphs will accept them, some won't, perhaps due to the exoskeleton.

In addition to the other suggestions given, I would strongly suggest using chopped earthworms. I had 3 marbled sal morphs, and this is how I fed them. I cut earthworms into bite size, still-wiggling pieces and placed the pieces on the soil just under the hide-out where the sals always stayed (without moving the hide or disturbing the sals). I would leave the room (for peace and quiet for the sals) and come back a few minutes later. I could look under the hide-out and see exactly how many pieces of worm had been eaten. They were good eaters with this method, but nothing else I tried worked due to their shyness.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back