tetrodotoxin poisoning???

JARET

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello All,

I inherited a rather docile California Newt from a friend whose roommate left it when she moved out. About 3-6 months after having the little guy, my health took a wrong turn. I exercised (well before getting sick) 5 days a week and was quite healthy. I believe the tetrodotoxin is transdermal because I experience the recurring symptoms every day that I have touched him, despite washing my hands thoroughly. Here is what is going on:
I developed intense hunger which I can rarely abate though I eat all day long (doctor says I'm not diabetic); my liver became swolen (found out in blood tests) and carbohydrates only intensified the hunger; I developed cramping and tingling in my extremities, which was intense the past three times I thought I had food poisoning (intestinal distress, vomiting, etc.); I sweat profusely, and have even woken up with my sheets drenched; I get dizzy for days at a time, and have not consumed alcohol in almost 8 years; I have lost 35 pounds, and was slender to average weight to begin with (doctor's diagnosis: weight loss (which I believe to be a symptom, not a disease or diagnosis, I have no HIV or any other viruses or diseases)); my mouth is dry often, like cottonmouth; and I am exhasted by noon and find it hard to stay awake and function. I tried one of my favorite sports not too long ago, surfing, and became extremely frustrated because I didn't even have the energy to paddle out. I have seen my doctor 5 times in the past 6 moths, and a new one just this week, they see no problems. I have not touched my newt in two days, and I only touched him 3-5 days a week to put him in a travel container to keep me company at work and take him out at the end of the day. I washed my hands thoroughly after every time I touched the little guy. I read that they usually run away from people, but I have had this one for a year and a half now, and from day one it didn't mind being picked up, but sometimes wants to stay in the cage and lets me know by ejecting from my hand when I pick it up. It seems healthy, and I feed it earthworms that I retrieve from my compost heap, every 2 or 3 days. I am getting sleepy now. I'm 35 years old. Anyone have a clue?
Reaching for answers,
Jaret:confused:

I think this is not the place to get advice on medical issues. You should mention the possibility of exposure to tetrodotoxin to your doctor. Anything else I could say would be pure speculation, and since your symptoms are significant, I think you need to pursue professional medical care. If you doctor isn't taking you seriously, get another doctor.

Regarding the newt, I don't think it's a good idea to take it to work with you. This just causes extra stress for the newt. He would be much better off staying home in his tank.

Regarding handling of the newt, use a fish net. If you must touch the newt, wear disposable gloves. I have many newts, but it's rare for me to touch any of them with my hands; there's just no reason for doing so. It's bad for the newt, as their skin absorbs anything that is on our hands: traces of soap, lotion, chemicals, it goes right into their skin.

Good luck with your symptoms, and best wishes to your newt.:wacko:

Thanks

Thanks. Went and saw Doctor #2 today. No tests to prove I have been poisoned. The water evaporates from my tank every few days and am worried that I'm breathing the stuff. I think it would be best for me to give them to a collector, who is equipped with the area needed to house these critters. I am poor, live in a shoebox that heats and cools every day.

I've kept Taricha for some time, and have only been poisoned twice by them. TTX, tetrodotoxin, is quite potent. It works as a sodium channel blocker. The two times I had adverse reactions were with an open cut on my thumb, and a very stressed newt. It caused muscle numbness, and a general 'arm is asleep' but tingly feeling.

The amount of TTX in a tank is minimal, as Taricha usually don't secrete it unless they're stressed. That being said, your moving it daily and letting the water evaporate all the time is quite stressful. I have no idea what the symptoms of chronic TTX inhalation would be.

After some research, I find that the only real symptoms of TTX not related to ingestion (which causes vomitting, paralysis, and death) are numbness. TTX is in research stages to be used as a topical anesthetic.

Has anyone suggested gluten sensitivity or Celiac's disease? I'm not a doctor by any means, but I'd say your symptoms sound right up that alley.

Last edited:
Tetrodotoxin and related compounds are not volatile at human-friendly temperatures so you can't be breathing it in.

i was thinking the gluten thing too. it runs in my family and the symptoms seen to suggest a gluten allegery which triggers anemia symptoms like too. my dad was diagnost with anemia for years and had digestive problem since his 20's which i remember him living on metamuclin since i was born. once more was learned about gluten allegeries in the late 90's he quit gluten foods, lost weight and no more digestive and energy problems

I'm an RN, and I think you definitely need a thorough check-up, including complete bloodwork, by a doctor who takes you seriously.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back