Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What is the best way raise Ph levels?

stephen

Reaction score
My water is turning acidic lots and I do clean the tank once a week. How can I raise the Ph level so it will stay like that for a while because at the moment I use that Ph up ( I know it is not the best but it is the only thing I have) is there something better to use?

kapo

Reaction score
Ok, didn't mean to sound abrupt, but you tend to have a problems and never answer relevant questions when someone attempts to help. Only way we can glean why and where the problem may be, in order to help you.

I know I'm repeating myself, but stop using the pH up, let your tank settle, and try what Kaysie mentioned to raise the pH. Test it every few days and keep a record of it.

We've never had any very low or very high pH readings with our tanks, so never had a problem.

Many people use this method for their tanks (fish and axolotl) rather than pH up, can't remember what the method is to lower it, but also seen it mentioned/used before.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Carbonate containing materials, such as crushed coral or limestone, will increase pH and buffer against pH swings. Peat moss will lower pH.

stephen

Reaction score
where can I buy carbonate containing materials? Do normal petshops sell them?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Sure, there are plenty around. Limestone can be found in garden centers (here it's found just anywhere outside, but I don't know your geology). Crushed coral can be found in pet shops. I would use a mesh bag to contain it and prevent the axolotls from ingesting it (a pair of pantyhose works well for this).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1