Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Julia
For the umpteenth time I have set fire ( usually melted) too my sons plastic linch boxes..this was by far the most spectacular, never had flames before! I stupidly put them on the cooker to dry and then go to cook tea, and manage to put the wrong rings on...completely banned now fron putting anything but pans on the cooker. Anyway, I keep my axolotl tank in the kitchen as generally it is one of the coolest rooms, beside a high up, mesh covered window which is now kept open at all times. As soon as the smoke and flames where spotted I threw a damp blanket over the tank , put out the flames and then set up a fan to blow away the smoke. I have now removed both axolotl from the tank , put them into fresh water butt water and fridged them.
Now I am aiming to do a 50% water change and further 30% changes over the next week or so, I supose the question is is there anything else I should do? the fumes where horrible, I am suffering from sore eyes and can still taste the stuff so I hate to think what the little guys are feeling.

I'd turn off any filters or air bubblers you have and do a couple of water changes over the next few days. I think that would be adequate.

Thanks for that, I did some checks on the fumes of burning plastics and theoretically the axolotl should be fine, but I will do as planned . Hopefully they are enjoying their stint in the fridge.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back