Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is he ok?

chimene

Reaction score
ive just moved my axie into a new tank, he sat at the bottom of the tank for the first 10/15mins but after that hes not stopped swimming for about the last 25mins, mostly swimming from one side of the tanks to the other, i just wondered if he is ok as he never did this when he was first put into his other tank, he just sat there! He looks ok in general and ate about an hour and a half ago

thanks

Chimene

Last edited:

ziggypie

Axolotl Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you make sure to keep some of the old water? A 100% water change will cause stress to the axolotl and can be partially blamed for some of his change in character. Also, did you make sure that the new water had spent enough time adjusting to the temperature of the old water before you added it? Temp changes are also extremely stressful. Maybe one of those is the culprit! Good luck :)

Also- I should add that maybe he is just adjusting to the new place, as anyone would after being rehoused. Wait a couple days and see what happens!

chrissy

Reaction score
as ziggypie said i think that your axie might just be adjusting to the new habitat. mine was very quite too when i changed tanks, but after a couple of days was back to normal. just wait a bit and your axie will go back to normal too.;)

chimene

Reaction score
thanks for your replies i think he was just having an exploring few hours as he seems to be settling down today the tank has been running for over a month and i have been putting some of his old tank water in for a while and also when i put him in, both tanks were the same temp so i was probably just worring over nothing, he just seemed so active compared to when i put him into his old tank, always best to be sure though - thanks again :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1