Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is Oliver sick or just fat?

YellowSloth

Reaction score
This is my little big boy, Oliver... or maybe he's a girl... I've never figured that part out either...

I noticed the other day he's growing close to the middle and a bit to one side. I've had him/her for over a year now with no problems at all... Can anyone tell if this is bloat or fat? I've been checking the water once a day and all the tests tell me my water is just about perfect. It has been hot here and the tank has gotten a bit warmer, but not by a huge difference...

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Fat Oli.JPG
    Fat Oli.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 281
  • Oliver's tummy.JPG
    Oliver's tummy.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 219
  • Oliver's reflection.JPG
    Oliver's reflection.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 240

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The animal does not look bloated to me. Overall, it looks healthy. I don't have an explanation for its condition - I've never seen a lopsided fatness like that. I think your newt is male, which also makes the fatness a mystery, as it cannot be eggs. I'm thinking it's some kind of abnormal growth, like a tumor, but that's just a guess.

YellowSloth

Reaction score
Thanks! I hope you're wrong about the tumor, but I'm definitly relieved that you don't think in looks like bloat! When I first noticed it, I thought maybe he'd hurt himself, but it doesn't seem to bother him at all, he has been swimming and eating like normal. I'll keep an eye on it and post more pictures if it gets bigger/easier to see....

Thanks for sexing him too... they all look like girls to me :dizzy:

mp2952

Reaction score
that is really strange. another possibility is that oliver ate some gravel. but you said it doesn't seem to bother him, so i'm not sure. hope you can figure out what it is

YellowSloth

Reaction score
hmmm... That's an interesting theory too! I never thought they'd be able to eat their gravel... But that is what it looks like.... It might be a bit bigger today than when I took the pictures.. I just checked on him and it was hard to tell. I'll try for some better pictures tonight after work.

I hope he's going to be okay.......

mp2952

Reaction score
more pics would be great. some tail shots would help to sex him. the angle of the cloaca in the first pic made me think he was a she, but the second pic he looks pretty swollen so i couldn't decide.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I think your newt is male, which also makes the fatness a mystery, as it cannot be eggs.
Are you sure it's male? I see the bulge but it's not exactly "comin' atcha" ? I've never kept pyrrhogaster so shoot me down at will.

YellowSloth

Reaction score
Poor Oli is feeling very angry and probably at least a little violated.... he did NOT want his picture taken today so this is the best I could do.... couldn't get any new ones of his lump, but maybe these will help in sexing... He's in the tank with two others that haven't been sexed yet either....

I'll try for better lump pictures later on.... when I had him out for these pics I tried to look, but he kept squirming so I had trouble finding it at all...maybe it's getting smaller again. :confused:

Thanks for all you help!

Attachments

• DSC00577.JPG
    DSC00577.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 197
  • DSC00579.JPG
    DSC00579.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 205

mp2952

Reaction score
i'm leaning more towards female. is the end of oliver's tail more rounded or angled?

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm notoriously bad at sexing newts but I would opt for female if forced to guess.

I've never kept pyrrhogaster so shoot me down at will.

Isn't it orientalis rather than pyrrhogaster? Now it's my turn to be shot.... :kill:

mp2952

Reaction score
she could be laying eggs already. they lay them one at a time usually on plants that they can fold the leaves over. check around your tank for eggs. the egg laying period for my newt was about 2 months as far as i could tell, but i'm sure they vary

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1