Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

how active should an axolotl be?

Dittany

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the axolotl game...
I was just wondering what's a normal level of activness for an axolotl? Last night my new axie was swimming around everywhere, but today she's just sat on her rock and has barely moved. What are they usually like? Is she ok? WHat does it mean when they're really still or really active??

Thanks!

carlos

Reaction score
hi, axolotls are usually more active at night as they are nocturnal. as a axie gets older they seem to settle down so at a guess since yours was swimming lots lastnight he/she sounds young. keep watch and he/she may start up again tonight for you.:eek:

chrissy

Reaction score
my axie is extremely active at night. while i lie in my bed i can hear him swimming around and moving the rocks.

ianclick

Reaction score
Kia ora Dittany,

I have 2 axies an adult and a juvenile in different tanks. Both love swimming One does laps of his tank and the other has a circuit he does around his tank.

The adult is sort of balanced in his activity. Meaning he is equally active and inactive at all times of the day and night. I work weird hours so I am often getting home any time between 9pm and 4am. I am up at 6 am 6 days a week so I have observed them both at all hours.

The juvenile gets more active at night and early in the morning and behaves more like a nocturnal animal.

I think you have a axie that is behaving very normally.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1