tank cooling

tulipfeind

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
charlotte griffin
Does anyone know any good tank cooling methods? My tank is 24 degrees C at the moment and I am using a fan but it's not helping. There is no lid on the tank. I am freezing some bottles of water to try that method but I may not always be home enough to be able to change the bottles. I was thinking of just buying a room air conditioner but i have no idea if they even work, does anyone know of any good ones?

Why cool?

Hi Charlotte,

Which species are you keeping?

It is sometimes worth looking into the country of origin to guage what temp you need. Some species that are south european do indeed cope better than expected, however those from north europe do need cooler climates!

Keep the curtains closed during the day, keep the room well ventilated and mist with cooled 'safe water' (i.e NOT TAP WATER!) every day.

Hope you get sorted,

Regards,

Mike G

Does anyone know any good tank cooling methods? My tank is 24 degrees C at the moment and I am using a fan but it's not helping. There is no lid on the tank. I am freezing some bottles of water to try that method but I may not always be home enough to be able to change the bottles. I was thinking of just buying a room air conditioner but i have no idea if they even work, does anyone know of any good ones?

A room air conditioner would certainly help! If nothing else gets the temp down, you may have to go this route. A real aquarium chiller will do even better, but it costs as much as a room AC, maybe more.

(Mike: this being in part of the axolotl forum, I would bet that the species is A. mexicanum);)

is the tank in the sun?? if it is i would recommed moving it out of the sunlight as axies dont like light and it would help cool the tank down.

The tank is out of the sunlight most of the day but it needs some light for the plants. The water temp is down to 22 today but i'm sure it wont stay that way for long. I think I am going to get the air conditioner it seems like the best idea I don't think the axolotl would like a tank cooler it hates having things like that in it's tank it still wont go near the thermometer or the filter. Thanx for your help

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back