A nice surprise tonight, 2 Alpestris Alpestris Larvae

jayne

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Jayne
I'm sure a lot of threads like this go up but I am chuffed to bits so thought I would share my good news with you all.

I'm still new to keeping newts and still have a lot to learn but I got a nice surprise tonight when I had a good look at my tank. I've got two larvae, around an inch long and what seems to be a newly hatched larva crawling round the tank. I was starting to think I was having no luck so for my first time breeding them i'm really pleased.

I'll get some pictures up asap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations! These kinds of surprises are always a lot of fun. Good luck with them!

Hi Jayne,
They must be the rabbits of the newt world, because the same thing happened to me.
Good luck with yours! Mine are doing great.

Thank you.

I've only seen one today but the others could be hiding in the darkness or amongst the plants. The one i've seen seems to be doing ok.

This is the little guy:

Attachments

• AlpestrisLarvaresized.jpg
    AlpestrisLarvaresized.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 305
My baby newts are thriving, they still have their gills but are getting closer to coming out of the water. The only problem I have is my male newts are really thin and one died yesterday. I've been feeding them well and tried the last male on worms today but he doesnt seem interested. Can anyone suggest anything?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back