feeding and tank snails

linz

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
linsey baxter
i feed my axie worms, beef heart and blood worm every other day. what else can i feed? can i give ham, chicken etc? also i would like to put a large snail in the tank but is there any sort i can do this ith

your local petshop should have axolotl food, turtle treats are also well received but they dont seem to like turtle food with alge in it. i dont know about chicken and ham but they love raw fish like snapper. as for the snails i keep up to six mystery snails, the smallest is about the size of a coke bottle lid, they are really good at cleaning up dropped food such as axolotl pellets. when buying snails dont get apple snails as they need warm water to live in so will just die, i found that out the hard way.:D

Righty, here goes! Mine are fed mainly earth worms, raw tiger prawn( un shelled) and cut into smaller strips. Occasionally sea food cocktail ( rinse the salt glaze of first and I havent fed crab sticks as they can be full of more additives) cut too size. Raw slivers of fat free beef, pork, lamb, chicken. The chicken heart from the giblets. One of their favourites is live river shrimp ( from our local aquarium) , these are great as they can be stalked by the axolotl and if they are not caught help to keep the tank clean. I aquired a couple of pond snails that hitched a ride on one of my plants and these reproduced while I was on holiday, these I have seen eaten by my axolotl. Some people feed salmon pellets ( chow?) but as my little treasures are so far fit and healthy I'll stick with their current diet!

I agree, the current diet sounds great. Adding additional kinds of meat would only make it worse. Ham is absolutely a no-no. My axolotls have lived very healthily for years on a diet of only earthworms and occasional insects that I catch for them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back