Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

females gills?

carlos

Reaction score
just got a new female axie last nite, someones unwanted pet. her gills are short and they have no little fluffy bits off them can anyone tell me why the gills go like this?

kapo

Reaction score
No gill filaments on the stubs can be caused through poor water quality. Two of ours were like that when we bought them - as they are adults it's taken them a long time to regenerate and they only have tiny filaments on their gills now, as opposed to none. How old is s/he, do you know?

carlos

Reaction score
hi, yes she is about 3 years. lived in a tank not much bigger than her, she is 23cm long, a little worse for wear looking, the owners 14yr old son used to take she out of tank to play with her. also very few months they would fill the bath up and put her in while they did a complete tank clean. they only had a disposable filter system and rocks in the tank with her.

kapo

Reaction score
Well, that would explain it then! For a start the son shouldn't have been playing with it that way, it's not a cat or dog to be petted or played with. Another thing a small tank would have had constant problems with fouling. Putting her in the bath tub, which would have had soap residues wouldn't have been ideal, and a tank should never be completely cleaned out. Problem upon problem.

I'm sure she's in far better hands with you.

carlos

Reaction score
thanks kapo. im doing my best with her, she is in a bigger tank by herself and will remain that way for sometime. she needs to gain weight and be very healthy before she meets my other two. i think she looks happier already:D

vickipeer

Reaction score
axolotls

Hi, I to have noticed that my three axies have lost the fury parts on their gills and I am not sure what is causing it to happen as i regularly clean the water every week So i dont think with mine that it is poor water quality. They have been like this for around three months may be a bit longer for 2 of them. Any suggestions would help.

Thanks Vicki

kapo

Reaction score
If they've lost all the furry parts, gill filaments, there is something wrong. You may clean your water weekly but you still have to rule out your water parameters.

I'd suggest getting the tankwater tested for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates. If you don't have freshwater test kits, then take a sample of tankwater to your petshop and get it tested and ask them to write it down. Don't buy any chemicals if the petshop says you need them.

How much water do you change weekly, what sort of substrate do you have? Also, how often do you feed them and do you clean any waste/uneaten food (if any) and poo up regularly (other than the weekly changes)?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1