Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

reducing cannabalism in young axies

niajetze

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have just read 'cannibalism amoung axolotl larvae does not seem to occur if they are kept in green water r in heaily planted aquarium with reduced light' Does any body have experience of this being correct? I would of thought reducing the light would increase the chances as they are kinda noctournal? and I guess 'green water' is algae water I would expect this to be detrimental to the young as opposed to stopping them eating each other. best way to keep them from eating each other (without separation) keep them well feed with plenty of room / hiding spaces? comments?

nzaxie

Reaction score
I used to raise my Axies where the tank / container gets a little sunlight ( but not where it will heat up ) and the axies excretions produced the perfect medium for algae growth. When the little guys are raised this way they deffinitely do not seem to attack each other. The conditions do not indicate "dirty" water conditions either - the axies produce the perfect medium for algal growth and even if you change the water frequently the water will stay green ( you really need things like Daphnia to eat the algae and keep the water clear - another option to ponder I guess ;) ).

If you are willing to give it a go and get "the balance" right then you will be well rewarded. Hint - use deep containers to help keep the water cool. I use 1000L vessels.

Good luck :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1