Gravel

tashie7161

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Tasha
Hey People

Yeh i know gravel is bad for axies, and on www.axolotl.org/ is says that long as the gravel/pebbles is bigger than 2cm it should be ok, although im still wondering what eveyone else thinks?
And is sand or large surfaces of slate safe for them?

I have found a special pond liner in Hollybush with pebbles stuck down, and was wondering what people thought of that?

Cheers
Tasha

If you do intend using the the pebbles/gravel sticking them down permanently, with aquarium safe silicon, then that's fine and much better than if they were piled above an undergravel filter! My sister did a permanent sand and permanent gravel base for her tanks after reading Jennewt's thread: http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/793/77098.html?1170154180

and they do look good and are as easy to clean as a bare tank floor. Food doesn't bury itself into the substrate and she's happy.

We have sand and few large pieces of schist rocks in our tanks. Large surface slate would also be good.

Hey Kapo,
I did think that the pond liner with pebbles stuck down was a good idea for them, but i thought best check with you lot! i must admit i didn't think about the food being easier to clean! :D Thanks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back