Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Filters...Stingray/Fluval?

tashie7161

Reaction score
hey there,
I have been wondering around all day to find the best filters, i did stumble across a filter (apparently new) called Elite Stingray, the guy working there opened it up and let me see what was in it. and its got the three main chemical, biological and chemical forms of filtration, doesn't heat up, but doesn't bubble?
Also there was a Fluval filter there, which i know a few of you have recommended?

Abrahm

Reaction score
My personal experience with the Elite Stingray filters is that they are awful. The not bubbling is not the problem as they do disturb the water's surface. The big problem is that they have very small filtration surfaces. The carbon they use is a very small volume and so are the sponges. They can't capture a lot of waste and they are a really bulky filter to boot. With a large waste producing animal like an axolotl you would be much better served by a larger filter with greater amounts of media. Canister filters, while expensive, are usually highly recommended. Large sponge/box filters coupled with a dependable water maintenance plan would also be acceptable and far cheaper than an expensive power filter.

tashie7161

Reaction score
i must admit i did think the filtration was a bit too small, but i thought i would inquire more about how people think about them on here. So the stingray is out of the window ^_^ thnx!

kapo

Reaction score
Another member, who hasn't visited in a while, also said she found the flow on it was quite strong, it wasn't adjustable, the suckers wouldn't stick to the tank and the filter kept falling off the glass.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I've used Duetto filters for my semi-aquatic tanks. I've found them to work pretty well.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
If you want the best, get an Eheim. Their Ecco external filters are nothing short of fantastic for modest size tanks. Eheim used to be like the Rolls Royce of filters but in the last 20 years or so their quality level is often perceived has having dropped (general opinion) but they still beat all the other brands. Hagen (makers of Fluval) do make decent external filters but they're not Eheim.

Personally I wouldn't consider any other brand of external canister. Internal filters are another matter. Eheim's internals aren't much better than fluvals, though they do provide better ability to curtail their flow and most (all?) have the ability to attach tubes to the outs for routing to a spray bar.

tashie7161

Reaction score
Thanks John, I'll start with an internal fluval, and hopefully if i get this new job i applied for i will be able to upgrade the filter with an Eheim :)

xscarymsmaryx

Reaction score
I've got a Stingray and it's not disturbing the water surface too greatly, so hmm. Maybe it's the placement or something?

g_k

Reaction score
i have fluval in a few of my tanks and think they are great. when i got the jewal tank for the axolotls i found the filter really bad and debabted getting a new fluval but went for a small corner pump instead. i would advice going for the next filter up from your tank size though, and be prepared to change the sponges a little more often than if they were in a fish tank. also be careful of putting the carbon pads in becuase after a week or so they begin to pollute the tank.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
also be careful of putting the carbon pads in becuase after a week or so they begin to pollute the tank.
I'm not sure what you mean. I've used various forms of carbon in various filters and never had a problem with it. Is it some other component of the carbon pads for this particular filter that are the problem?

g_k

Reaction score
i have been advised a few times by different people that the carbon pads and carbin itself only has a certain shelf live in the water before it starts doing more harm than good. so i only leave the pads for a couple of weeks and actual carbon no longer than 4 weeks. id rather be safe than sorry.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
    Shane douglas: with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred... +1