Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

so now i have eggs..

mc malachy

Reaction score
Hey all, kinda new to this site, but long time axie owner. I recently added pool filter sand to my tank (by recently i mean about 3 days ago) after having a bare tank for awhile after removing rocks. So, after having both my axies together in the tank for 2 years, i wake up this morning to find heaps of eggs! seems they like their new sand hey. My thing is, im not sure what to do with them. I culled the first few hundred i found (which i felt so bad about but i figure its better than them suffering to death), but after returning from work this afternoon i have found more. I dont have space to keep them as adults, but have spoken to friends and if i can find homes for a few i might have a go at raising some. I dont know what they need, nor where i can get any brine shrimp eggs or daphina. i live in rowville, Australia, and called a few aquariums around here who told me they didnt know what i was talking about, so im a little stuck. I feel bad for killing them and would like to give raising some a go so long as i can find homes for them in advance (ie so people can get tanks nicley cycled!), but if i have no other option i will. Can i transfer eggs to people who are more experianced, like a breeder if i find one? Or will they just die? I dont know if anyone on here is in this area or knows my area so can give advice on where i can get some food for them (assuming they survive) or what i can do?

sorry for the mass of questions, im just kinda torn!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
You can offer the eggs for sale on this website too. Eggs are easily shipped.

Otherwise, another way is to leave the eggs in with the parents, who will dispose of them.

mc malachy

Reaction score
The mum seems stressed. Shes been swimming around the top and trying to climb onto the filter for hours now...is this normal? How will i know when shes finished laying? The number of eggs seems to be still increaing...

Vanessa07

Reaction score
Hi,

I live in Box Hill and I know there is an aquarium on the corner of Middleborough & Canterbury Roads in a small group of shops behind the mobile petrol station. They sell brine shrimp eggs, as I looked into getting some as my axies laid eggs last week (my first time with eggs also).

I hope this helps.

Vanessa

kapo

Reaction score
She may still be trying to lay eggs, it can take anywhere from a few hours to laying over a few days.

You could just raise the no. of eggs that your friends want rather than a large no., as it can be very time consuming/costly if you're searching for things like brineshrimp eggs, daphnia or other food sources. Don't try to raise a big no. especially if you're inexperienced, you will also never make a profit by selling them to the petshop, as it won't compensate you for the time and effort spent feeding/raising them. I spent 2-3 hrs/day feeding/cleaning our 20 larvae, majority of them are gone now, and now after 3months only spend 15mins/day on the remainder, which are due to go in a few weeks.

Axie larvae, once hatched, requires twice daily feeding and if necessary twice daily or daily waterchange of majority of water. Then as they grow, separation by size to avoid smaller ones being mistaken for passing food!

Last edited:

carlos

Reaction score
my axie took 2-3 days laying her eggs. she also keept climbing over the filter but she stoped once she stopped laying. so i think she was just looking for another place to lay.

Sharron

Axolotl Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now I have Eggs Too

Hi

Like you, I too had that very same surprise last week. I have not culled any of the eggs as my decision was to try to rare as many as possible and I have a large number of intrested people and pet shops that would love to take them, but like you I need more information. Have you been advised of where we can get the live food that we should be feeding the babies, once hatched.

My eggs are now 9 days old and developing quickly, so like you I need the information quickly, the aquariums sold me some baby fish starter, but Im not sure that will do it.

Cheers

Sharron:confused:

kapo

Reaction score
What is baby fish starter?

The best things to feed are baby brineshrimp or daphnia (live and wiggly!). You can purchase a container of baby brineshrimp eggs from the petshop, but you'll need to set up a hatchery. They can take from 24hrs to 48hrs to hatch depending on temperature.

Sharron

Axolotl Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aquarium sold me a tube of stuff called Small Fry Liquid baby food for fish. They have to have it wrong.

I live in Sydney, and cannot find an aquarium that can help me with live food.

At the moment the water temp in the tank is 16 degrees. So growth is a little slower. But I am new to this and need all the advise I can get

kapo

Reaction score
They will only eat live food, phone around petshops/aquariums, you should be able to get a bottle of baby brineshrimp eggs which you can hatch out, if they don't have any they will be able to order it, they're widely bought by fish enthusiasts for their fish fry as well.

From the day they hatch you usually have 2-3 days grace before you need to start feeding them, which usually gives you time to hatch the baby brineshrimp eggs.

They then have to be separated from the remaining unhatched eggs and need to be fed twice a day as well as water changed daily sometimes twice a day.

Invest in a couple of turkey basters these are great for transferring axie larvae to different tubs (ie when cleaning, few days after hatching) and for cleaning out containers and axie tanks.

If you don't have enough live food your larvae will die.

Here's some information on food for larvae and how to set up a brine shrimp hatchery
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/microfoods.shtml

Sharron

Axolotl Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, I dont know which area you are in, but if you are in Sydney, I was able to buy baby
shrimp brine eggs from an aquarium in Bexley on Forrest Road. The owner there was more than happy to take us out back and educate us in how to hatch and store these.

I have also had offers from them along with another aquarium to purchase the Axies from me. After reading some of the things people have written in the forums, I have checked out their set ups and how they maintain and care for their other axies.

I hope this is helpful

Jake

Reaction score
I spent 2-3 hrs/day feeding/cleaning our 20 larvae, majority of them are gone now,

Are you kidding?! What were you doing? Feeding them blackworms each with tweezers?

I can feed, scrub the tubs, and change the water on several hundred axolotls from 1/2 inch to 7 inches in less time out of the day than it took you to raise 20 larvae.

Sure, axolotl raising isn't a walk in the park for a beginner, but it also isn't too much of a challenge. You just need to keep them well-fed, and keep the water clean.

Galen

Reaction score
Please quote

I would like to know if there is a possibility to ship to South Africa. I would be interested in purchasing eggs from you, i just need a quote on the shipping costs as well. To Johannesburg Sousth Africa.
If you can find out at leat you can make a bit of extra money.

As soon as my license is approved i will be getting local reptiles for sale and obviously will post here.
Regards,
G

Hey all, kinda new to this site, but long time axie owner. I recently added pool filter sand to my tank (by recently i mean about 3 days ago) after having a bare tank for awhile after removing rocks. So, after having both my axies together in the tank for 2 years, i wake up this morning to find heaps of eggs! seems they like their new sand hey. My thing is, im not sure what to do with them. I culled the first few hundred i found (which i felt so bad about but i figure its better than them suffering to death), but after returning from work this afternoon i have found more. I dont have space to keep them as adults, but have spoken to friends and if i can find homes for a few i might have a go at raising some. I dont know what they need, nor where i can get any brine shrimp eggs or daphina. i live in rowville, Australia, and called a few aquariums around here who told me they didnt know what i was talking about, so im a little stuck. I feel bad for killing them and would like to give raising some a go so long as i can find homes for them in advance (ie so people can get tanks nicley cycled!), but if i have no other option i will. Can i transfer eggs to people who are more experianced, like a breeder if i find one? Or will they just die? I dont know if anyone on here is in this area or knows my area so can give advice on where i can get some food for them (assuming they survive) or what i can do?

sorry for the mass of questions, im just kinda torn!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1