Cant figure out what kind of newt i have

modelunnn

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, i have a newt and when i bought it at the pet store it was labeled as a paddle tailed newt. At the time i had no reason to be speculative of this label. However after browsing this site and reading the descriptions of paddle tail newts now i have some doubt as to the type of newt i have. It does not have a wide tail like paddle tails but instead a long tail that gets thin and pointed at the tip. It is brwn on top with an orange underbelly and the tips of his toes are orange too, as is as the bottom of his tail. I dont believe it is a paddle tail or a fire belly perhaps it is a california newt?????

could someone please tell me because i have had it living with a fire bellied toad and apparently they are not supposed to be housed with fire bellied newts....so i want to make sure the newt i have will be ok with the toad....so far they have been fine. ....i included a couple pics..not the best but hopefully good enough for a positive id.....any help will be awesome

Attachments

• try1.JPG
    try1.JPG
    236.1 KB · Views: 228
  • try2.JPG
    try2.JPG
    338.1 KB · Views: 468
  • try3.JPG
    try3.JPG
    347.5 KB · Views: 488
That's a roughskinned newt, Taricha granulosa.

These are VERY toxic, so you want to keep handling to a minimum, but they make great pets. Like all salamanders, they should be kept cool. They should NOT be kept with firebelly toads, nor should firebelly newts, for that matter (all caudates should be kept in species-specific tanks). T. granulosa are also pretty highly aquatic. Read http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Taricha/T_granulosa.shtml for more information.

ahhhh....i see thank you very much

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back