lonley?

carlos

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Display Name
shelley
hi, i was just wondering, do axolotls get lonley? i would think they would but i thought i might get some thoughts on the subject.:rolleyes:

Axolotls don't need company. Some interaction will happen between two if they're in the same tank, but they only associate because they're in the same area. In the wild, they wouldn't seek out other axolotls.

Keeping just a single one is certainly "safest", as when they are together there's always some risk of them hurting each other. They don't get lonely. As humans, we tend to project our own feelings on them, but really they don't need company.

I was actually thinking the same thing yesterday. I know that they can fight though etc, but would it help if they have been brought up together? and does it make it worse having age gaps?

Age gaps doesn't matter, just try and keep them similar size or not too big a size difference, if you buy them both from the same source at the same time (same tank) then it's ok to keep them together. But if you buy one from one source then find another elsewhere you have to keep the two separate (quarantined) to ensure they're healthy.

Try not to do buy any axolotl rescues, because one looks sick, lost a limb/gill, floats etc... you'll just be buying yourself a lot of work and worry.

One of my friend's fave sayings is: Axies don't get lonely, the owner just thinks they need a friend, they do just as well alone. (On that note, he has 20 axolotls and we have 11 + 5 larvae! :D )

Last edited:
Cheers Kapo, The ones I've seen look as if a breeder has sold them all together, there are three albinos, all look the same size. i cant see anything wrong with them, although two of them sit right in the left corner near the filter and the other sits in the right corner watching the fish next to him/her. lol

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back