Fresh Water Cold Water?

tashie7161

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Tasha
Just making sure Axies are fresh water and not marine, because I'm not sure whether marine is just cold water with the salt and minerals etc, or can marine fish be in different tank temperatures because of coming from different parts of the globe? does that make sense?

Axolotls are indeed freshwater animals. The high salinity of marine water would most likely kill an axolotl forced to endure continued immersion.

Marine environments can come in cold and tropical temperatures just like fresh water. Oceans exist at nearly every latitude so there is a great variation in the temperature of the ocean depending upon where you are.

I thought they were but dad wanted me to check. cheers Mag

Axolotls historically inhabited two lakes fed by glacial runoff in the Mexican mountains. They come from nowhere near the ocean. 'Marine' is the equivalent to 'ocean'

Thanks kaysie, i did know they came from lakes in Mexico. I Didn't know they fed from glacial runoff. I think i wasn't listening to my dad at the time lol he was confusing me so he wrote the topic. He should of just asked me where they came from :p

Kia Ora Tasha,

As far as I know, there are common two terms to describe water dwelling animals.

Marine, pertaining to sea creatures. These are animals who can cope with changes in the salinity (salt content) of the water depending on the species, but live in salt water. Some marine animals can survive in freshwater.

Aquatic, pertaining to creatures that live in freshwater. Most aquatic animals cannot survive in salt water although their are some exceptions to this ie; salmon who start and end their lives in fresh water but live most of their lives in salt water.

Anyway axies are not one of the exceptions, although they can handle measured periods of immersion in salt baths.

I wouldn't want to try a lengthy immersion in salt water with my axies.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back