Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Julia
I was watching my axolotl earlier ( its a frequent event!) and I noticed something 'oddish' about the tip of my golds tail, it appears very thin, almost transparent and not rounded...sort wobbly, it was once rounded and smooth. Both of them have grown a lot over the last 2 months..the gold nearly 3 cm.It appears undamaged, torn or infected ( fungal)...just like its kinda grown like it. While I am not too worried, I just wanted to check that it may not be an early sign of deficiancy ( fed mainly earth worms with occasional raw tiger prawns etc), or any thing else. Water is checked twice weekly and all is well there ( even took a sample to aquarium to double check that my tests where fine).

Might you have a picture? If the water/temp is good and you feed with earthworms (very, very healthy) then I wouldn't be too worried. I do the same thing though, nitpick at tiny things that seem wrong <just in case>. Let us know how it progresses!

All of mine have clear tail tips, most with the 'scalloped' edges. This is due to previous predation. Tail tips are evidently quite yummy.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back