Nitrite!

panpan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Panpan
Just checked the tanks water parameters and there is apparently nitrite! I'm not entirely sure I trust this test but just in case i wanted to know what I can do to reduce it. The tank was cycled for several moths (i kept putting it off) before I moved the axi in there and he has been in there since jan/feb and I haven't had any problems. I have recently changed the substrate to sand and although I gave it a quick wash could this have caused it? My axi seems fine and is eating etc etc. It could just be that the test is dodgy but I want to be sure.

A recently changed substrate can cause a mini-cycle in your tank. A 20-30% water change should bring your nitrite levels down. I would also take the sample to a pet shop and get a second opinion, and to give you a basis on whether your test kit is off.

Hi Panpan, my tank did the same after I added more sand and a few more plants, then it started to mis behave. I had been using 5 in 1 dip sticks but this prooved too unreliable, so now I regularly check nitrite, nitrate and ammonia. I did the 30% daily water changes and it seemed to take longer to cycle than it did when I first set it up! but now it is running fine. Luckily the axolotl appeared fine through out this. All the best.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back