Axie not eating, green poo...

louise

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Display Name
Louise Selfridge
My axie has been in and out of the fridge and getting salt bath treatments for fungus for the past few weeks. She had fungus on a gill first, and when that cleared she went back to her tank. After a week, the fungus returned, only on her tail. During this time she diodn't eat. It has now also cleared, and she has returned to the tank. Parameters have been checked and are OK. Temp is about 20-22 degrees.

She was never a great eater anyway, but loved bloodworms. Now she won't even look at food. I've tried everything-earthworms, maggots, bloodworm, daphnia, but she's not interested. She has also done green poo, which looks a bit like algae patches. What could I do to help her?

I just checked the water again. Ammonia and nitrite were 0, but nitrate was very high (40).

hi. i dont know about green poo, but your water temp shoudnt be higher than 18 degrees. maybe that could be causing stress. i would lower temp and see what that does.

40 isn't that high, when it gets to 80+ppm/mg then it can be a problem, which can be brought down through regular partial waterchanges.

Our tanks nitrate levels, range from 20ppm-40ppm.

Not sure about the green poo, doesn't sound too good. I agree with Shelley about the temperature, although it isn't as high as 24, if you can get it below 20 it would be better and may help avoid fungus.

Have a search of the forum, I'm sure I've seen something on here someone posted about green poo!

Thanks-I'll fridge her again. Have moved her into a different tank for now. I wondered if the green poo/urine could be from not having eaten in a long time?

Mine never ate for 5-7 weeks, during that time there were little light brown bits in the water, never saw anything green.

Good luck and I hope things improve.

Thanks Kapo. She won't eat anything. Will she eat in the fridge?

Louise, Does your tank have gravel at the bottom? Maybe your seeing bits of gravel in her poo?

No it's always been sand.

Fridging and unfridging constantly can be causing undue stress as well. Fridge and salt bath consistantly until the fungus is gone, and continue for a few days to be sure. Then introduce her back to her tank and offer food.

You'll probably always have this problem until you find the root cause of the fungus. It's probably due to some stressor in the tank. Temperature, flow, substrate, bullies, and lack of hiding spots are all common.

As the axolotl hasn't been feeding the green feces could be due to the passage of bile salts which is probably nothing to worry about. (the lower temperatures slows the digestion allowing the bile to pass through).

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back