Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

cloudy water please help

lisalee2

Reaction score
please can some one help me iv had axolotls now for quite a while and the problem iv got is the water has gone realy cloudy looks like thick fog we have had this problem before over a year ago but it went away after a couple of days but this time we have it for over 3 or 4 days and it is still realy bad we have changed 20 per cent of the water every day since it first appeard and clean the 2 filters whats in the 4 foot fish tank to see if that helps clear the cloudy water. my partner tested the ammonia,nitrate ect today and they have all came back fine i dont know what else to do i hope the cloudy water isnt harming my 3 adult axis cuz there by babies please can some one help me i would realy apprciate it. thanks lisa.

Abrahm

Reaction score
What sort of substrate are you using? If it is gravel, sand or something similar when have you last siphoned it out? It is possible that a buildup of detritus in the gravel/sand is providing food for a bacterial bloom which is why your water is cloudy. It may also be caused by a change in your municipal water, especially if it happened around the same time last year. A relatively high amount of a certain compound that varies seasonally may be present and encouraging bacterial growth. Overfeeding can also lead to bacterial blooms, especially if uneaten food is left in the aquarium.

Usually bacterial blooms clear up by themselves. These should be followed up with significant water changes so that the dead bacteria do not affect the water quality.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is the "fog" white or green?

Keep up the partial water changes daily. If there is no ammonia or nitrite, I don't think it will hurt the axolotls.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there, my tank water has changes colour and put it down to the temp rising...now its cooling down I will see what happens. Tested my water also so all is fine there, and like you I am doing the partial water chages. All the best

lisalee2

Reaction score
thanks

thank you every one for your replies, the axis tank water has gone back to normal now,all i did was check the ammonia etc but all that was fine changed 20% of water everyday and clen the filters every other day till the water got clear. and all 3 adult axis are happy. thank you for your help every one.

ianclick

Reaction score
I have had a similar issue, I do what has been suggested to you. A partial water change and a check of the filter and a clean if necessary. It hasn't happened since the big tank finished cycling.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1