Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cynops orientalis and climbing..

EWom

Reaction score
So the esacpe article, and various other posts, and pictures on the forum have lead me to beleive to believe that Fire Belly newts are very adept at climbing. I'm curious if putting a small climbing feature for them in an enclosure would be a waste of space, or something that might actually get used.

So I guess the basic question is, has anyone put climbing features in for non-traditional climbing amphibians of any kind,and had any results? I used Fire belly newts as a specific example, mainly because of the awesome pic of one climbing up the tube in the escapes article.
Has anyone else tried it at all?

What are your thoughts, I may put one in, just to see what happens.

Last edited:

lims

Reaction score
Try it, it cant hurt, but obviously dont make him an escape route, and firstly boil/bake whatever you put in. But i dont really think they are climbers particularly, you might want a tree frog for that.

caudata1988

Reaction score
I'd just be careful with what kind of climbing apparatus you put in, though chinese fire-bellies are good climbers they aren't the most sure footed. Don't make it too high as they might fall and injure themselves.

lims

Reaction score
surely they have to cope with all kinds of climbable terrain in the wild, is it really a danger?

caudata1988

Reaction score
I'm just saying you don't want to put something in the tank that may cause a serious accident. I would feel responsible if it broke a leg from the fall or something. As i said before they aren't entirely designed for climbing. But its up to you really

maniaticguy

Reaction score
So the esacpe article, and various other posts, and pictures on the forum have lead me to beleive to believe that Fire Belly newts are very adept at climbing. I'm curious if putting a small climbing feature for them in an enclosure would be a waste of space, or something that might actually get used.

So I guess the basic question is, has anyone put climbing features in for non-traditional climbing amphibians of any kind,and had any results? I used Fire belly newts as a specific example, mainly because of the awesome pic of one climbing up the tube in the escapes article.
Has anyone else tried it at all?

What are your thoughts, I may put one in, just to see what happens.
I cinops orentalis too and he have try to climb the tank but he doesn't get to far but he is able to climb a replica of a bonsai he spend almost all the time over the tree

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1