Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

artemia filter/sieve>help

lims

Reaction score
i need a sieve or filter that has very very small holes so that baby daphnia and artemia will not fall through, this is for feeding axie larvae, anyone know where i can get one? UK if possible??

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Just turn off your filter while feeding. Or put a piece of pantyhose over the filter intake.

What size filter are you using on a baby tank? I would be apt to NOT use a filter for fear of sucking up larvae and causing them too much stress with jostling water.

lims

Reaction score
Sorry, kaysie I think I have mislead you a bit, i need a small filter/sieve type devise for filtering andf rinsing artemia out of salty solution so that they can be fed to axolotl larvae withought adding the solution to the axie's water, i need a very fine sieve as food is very small, there must be somewhere to buy one, i cant find it online, anyone know?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Oh, I gotcha. Well, the pantyhose trick will still stand. Take a wire hanger, and bend it into a net shape and spread the toe of the pantyhose over it and scoop. Then rinse them carefully under fresh water.

Or, if you're too lazy, a brine shrimp net can be used.

lims

Reaction score
good idea

aaaaaa yes, i get you, you know thats identical intructions to making a "pop-gaurd" made to stop plosives and ess's from causing distortion on a microphone when recording vocals (sorry this is totally un-amphibian related)
Thanks tho kaysie, i'm actually just gona use a pop-shield coz i have 2.
...under my nose the whole time...

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It's amazing what kind of 'household' items can get co-opted for axolotl use :)

Ed

Reaction score
you can also use a paper coffee filter... this works great in my opinion and are really cheap and easy to use.

Ed

lims

Reaction score
aaaaa of course, why didnt i think of these things before! i have these for making real coffee!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1