Help Lotty not eating and has no gills

Mitahbu

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi, I have just purchased an axelotyl and it doesn't seem to have many if any gills and it won't eat. I have tried meal worms and beef liver. PH level is good. Has a good filter system. It is getting thinner and I am very worried. Please help me. Thanks in advance

The best food to try is earthworms. You can also try slugs, slaters (just make sure the garden you get them from hasn't had any garden pesticides used). Try baitshops for earthworms. You may be able to get live blackworms as well from the petshop.

Otherwise frozen bloodworm. Mealworms should only be used occasionally and the heads should be chopped off, as they can harm your axie. Beef liver should also be an "occasional" food not a staple, and any fat or tendons should be trimmed so its lean. Do not use feeder fish, they carry parasites, excrete a lot and can/will nibble your axie's gills.

How long have you had your tank up and running? How long have you had your axolotl? Are there any other tank companions? What substrate are you using? What chemicals, if any have you added to the tankwater?

Did you cycle the tank: see: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml

You need to test your tankwater to rule out anything that may be effecting your axie. The most important levels you need to test for when there may be a problem, or your tank is cycling, are ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

If you don't have the relevant test kits, take a sample of tankwater to your petshop. Ask them to test for the 3 mentioned. Most importantly ASK them to write the results/figures down against each one and give it back to you, don't accept it's ok - you need the figures so you can tell if anythings wrong. .

Once that's done, if they suggest that you buy a bottle or two of something that will fix your tankwater. DON'T buy it. The only chemical you need for your tankwater is one that is used to treat tapwater to remove the chlorine and chloramines from the tapwater.

Pop back on here once you have the results and someone will help. Basically, if ammonia and/or nitrite levels are above 0, then you need to do a 20-30% waterchange of your tankwater. This will bring any toxins down.

If you just bought your axie and he has almost no gills, it sounds like he was badly kept by whoever you purchased him from. I hope you didn't hand over good money for him.

Good luck nursing him back to health anyway.

It is also not uncommon for newly aquired axolotls to not feed for several days while they acclimate.

Ed

The only thing I added to the water was for clorine...I used part tap water with the water ager and rain water, mainly rain water. I only just set up the tank and then got the axelotyl ( only one ) 4 days later. I have gravel on the bottom and was told this can be bad for them, is this true, should I change to rocks. I have some weed in there as well. Thanks to all who have replied

Last edited:
Mitahbu, gravel i would say isn't a good thing for them as it can clog up there little systems, i have sand at the bottom of my tank, you can you big pebbles/rocks, long as they are bigger then the Axies mouth.

Gravel is small enough to be ingested, but often too big to be passed with fecal matter. It can cause intestinal impactions, which can be deadly. Large rocks are better, but are a serious pain to try and clean between. Most members here agree that sand is the best substrate to have. I switched to sand years ago from bare tank (and then river rock), and I love it. Sand is small enough to pass with fecal matter, and poo and other waste just sit ontop, instead of getting trapped between rocks.

Did you read the article on cycling http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml yet? Cycling your tank is a really important step, and is critical to the long term health of your axolotl.

yeah I read the article on cycling, thanks. I have the gravel and filter from one of my other tanks and I have put some of the water from them in as well. I don't have the kits to test the water as yet, working on that one, as well as changing to sand. I only have the PH test kit, not the amonia one, I have been told by petshops that they don't exist...lmao...still looking for one...Thanks

Your petshop obviously doesn't stock them and has no idea about aquarium test kits if they say that. They should be able to order them, ask them to check where they order their stock from, I use Aquarium Pharmaceutical one, I have the Master Freshwater test kit which contains all the test kits for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, low and high pH. The whole set costs in the region of $55-$75 NZD and individually each test kit ranges from NZ$15=NZ$25.

As your tank may be cycling, when was the last time you did a waterchange?

If you haven't done a waterchange since setting up your tank, and as you don't have the test kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Then you'll have to do 20=30% waterchanges daily or every 2 days at least on that tank. If you don't you'll find your axie will get stressed and get sick very quickly.

The frequent partial waterchanges are used to lower any ammonia/nitrite toxins accumulating in your water, which is entirely normal in a cycling tank.

Don't be tempted to buy something that will remove the ammonia, those sort of products just muck up a cycling tank.

I have a kit, tested the water and my nitrite level is nil and my ammonia is through the roof...way too high...how do I get it down fast/safe?.....Thanks again

you have to do frequent partial waterchanges. So do a 20-30% waterchange tonight. Don't be tempted to do a huge amount as you will make things worst. For the next few days, continue doing 20-30% waterchanges daily, this will bring it down so it's safe enough for your axie to reside in.

Your ammonia will continue to rise, and then fall as Nitrites rise. During this time, depending on the size of your tank and the number of inhabitants, you'll have to do nearly-daily water changes of about 20%. Once the ammonia levels and nitrite levels are down, you can change the water less frequently, about 20% a week.

THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU I did the partial water change last night and Lotty started eating about an hour after. I fed him/her again this morning and he/she ate that as well. Going by the information I found here I think Lotty is a she. I want to thank everyone for saving Lotty, you have made us very happy. I will keep doing partial water changes every day as the level was back up again this morning. I can't thank you all enough. I will keep you updated on Lotty's progress.

Hi again, I keep doing the partial water changes but the ammonia levels just keep rising. Should I completly change the water in the tank and replace it with water from my other tanks?

No do not completely change the water and do not use water from your other tanks.

When you do the waterchanges have you been vacuuming the gravel?

I would actually suggest you remove the gravel, when you do one of your waterchanges. You might then realise how much waste builds up beneath it, which can effect water quality.

It's a better idea to keep your tank floor bare so your axie doesn't ingest any gravel and until you sort out sand.

Thanks.....will do that in the morning and get back to you on the results

I have been doing the water changes and I got rid of all the gravel. The ammonia is slowly but surely coming down. Can I use sand from the beach if I wash it very well or will it still contain too much salt?

No not sand from the beach, it's not the salt but shell content!

You can get a huge bag of sand from any hardware/DIY store (ie Mitre 10/Bunnings) or garden centres. Make sure to ask for playsand. It should cost anywhere from $7-$15 (ours cost $7 for 25kg bag). Petshop sand is usually way too expensive and may be for marine tanks which can alter your water.

You do need to rinse it well.

Hi, Lotty is doing great now, her water levels are just about perfect, she is eating and is very active now. I want to thank everyone that offered me help, you saved my Lotty. I am so VERY greatful. THANKS THANKS THANKS

That's good to hear, Mitahbu.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back