What is the best food?

clairey85

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey all,

Im new at this forum, not exactly a newbie axolotl owner, but was just wondering what exactly is the best food to feed your pet?

mine is a very healthy male- from what I was told he was fed mainly on meal worms, but I know that is not really a substantial diet for them, and the pet store I got him from havent really tried pellets on him...

the store supplied meal worms, but unfortunately not much else- any suggestions on where or what I can feed Maurice to keep him in top shape?

cheers! :D

Our two enjoy bloodworm, waxworm, earth worm, and thin slices of raw shrimp.

I think variety is the key really.

i think sometimes there just faarrr too much info on the net!!!
I only bought Maurice last thursday so Im going to go shopping for some nice choice foods tomorrow for him now that hes well settled and eating ! :)

There is so much information, the best seems to be try them and see what your axie prefers and stick to that. Both of my axies like Axolotl Tucker which is a prepared food containing insects,shrimps, vegetables, beef, cereals, calcium and vitamins and I feed them live earthworms every third feed. I live in New Zealand so I'm not sure if this mix is available elsewhere.

Good Luck

I feed Pellets (Very high meat interest and no vegetables in it!), earthworms, living fish, seldom chicken liver and grasshopper. What feeds I not at all am meal-worms (do only a lot of fat and can damage the Axolotl. If you doesn’t crush the head, they can eat by the Axolotl from the inside!), saltwater fish (because of the high iodine interest) that same ones counts to farm-reared fishes like trout’s. In Germany and Denmark farm-reared fishes are fed with iodine. So I feed only my self-grown fish (guppy).

Banda gets a diet of pellets, worms and slugs. And the occasional prawns,mealworms and otherthings.

cheers!

thanks all your advice is appreciated :D

im starting more a variety as of this week- meal worms are definitely not enough sustenance... why the greedy gutts had like 5 two nights ago when it was feeding time! :p

Hi Clare, while you are feeding him meal worms cut off the head as they can cause discomfort to an axolotl (they bite as they're swallowed).

Also, axolotls do tend to eat more when it's warmer as well as you get the odd few that won't stop eating no matter how much food they're offered. You just have to be aware on when to stop feeding, don't judge it by when they're content to stop.

:D hehe thanks kapu ... yeah the girl in the pet shop advised the heads be chopped= at least they knew something = so i been doing that ... im going to start maurice on pellets mid week- i only feed him like once a week- hes still only a juvie - do they eat more than adults because of growth rate?

A lot of people mention feeding your Axies pellets, can you get them in the UK, what are they called, where can i buy some and how much? I would like to try pellets :)

Hi there, you mentioned that Maurice is a juvenile..i'm not sure when they stop being juvenile, but if he is young I suspect he'll need feeding more than once a week. My two are over 24cm but tend to be fed alternate days a couple of earthworms each or equivelent in size raw strips of meat, tigerprawn etc etc. They do both tend to beg for food when they want it, so as the water is warming up ( and I try to bring it down) they are more demanding!, having said that if I try to feed a second worm and they don't want it they walk off!

hehe yes Maurice is fairly young- his length would be 10 cm almost exactly so he is you could say a baby in comparison to your axies ;)

I am heading to the pet store today to try blood worms or pellets whichever they have available ;)
and of course to give them this website url so they can get a bit more educated !!

I am going to feed him this afternoon- when rearranging the tank and cleaning out the bottom yesterday, he swam up to my hand and thought my finger was actually a worm so naturally he took a snap! hehe it was a very strange experience :D he is a very curious one indeed!

He can be fed twice a day until he reaches about 12cm, once a day till he reaches 15cm , thereafter once every 2-3 days. Our adults during winter time can be fed once or twice a week and will sometimes go without food for a couple of weeks.

@Tasha

I even know one German Internet shop these Pellets sold. Maybe you can order them there? Nevertheless, against a higher dispatch fee this must function?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back