california newts

Beach Newts

Reaction score
Country
United States
just got 2 of these guys. ive got paddletails and giant hong kong newts; both do very well. my cal newts wont eat do they prefer a particular food item? i keep 8 diffrent types of treefrogs as well;so im familar with amphibians but these cal newts act weird any suggestions?

First off you are keeping everything in seperate tanks right?

I have 4 California Newts (Taricha Torosa) myself. One of my taricha refused to eat the bloodworms I was feeding so I dropped in some crickets and he went to town. All eight of my newts (paddletails/torosas) are currently eating a combination of bloodworms & crickets, some of the crickets I even hand feed them with a tweezer... They also get the occasional chopped up nightcrawler...

Where'd you get them? California Newts are apparently rare in the pet trade. I was lucky enough to rescue mine from a family who had rescued them from some construction workers.

I love them! They have been great pets the past few weeks! :D

Last edited:
T. granulosa are fairly common in the pet trade, and are often referred to as 'california newts'. Mine prefer earthworms.

Beach Newts, you may want to be careful where you say that, as I believe it's illegal to have more than 4 native California herps in your possession at any time.

I believe it is 4 of each species, no? I'll have to read.

You could solve that easily by splitting the group and sending them to someone here in CA. Also, if they breed, any above the limit of four(in this case, all offspring) will have to find homes in 30 days w either other CA people with fishing licenses or donated to some public place(zoo etc. I am assuming). not sure of regulations of sending them out of state. I think that is pretty ridiculous that you get only 30 days to rehome a potential 100+ eggs/delicate newt larvae. I would hate to be the fool to breed some Bufo boreas under these regulations though! LOL!

T. granulosa are fairly common in the pet trade, and are often referred to as 'california newts'. Mine prefer earthworms.

Beach Newts, you may want to be careful where you say that, as I believe it's illegal to have more than 4 native California herps in your possession at any time.

Ooops, my bad... I was writing my post so fast last night that screwed it up... I have 8 newts total...

4 Paddletails
4 California Newts

My Paddles are in a 20 gallon tank, My Calis are in a 60 gallon tank. All are eating a combo of worms and crickets.

I did look into my Fishing License book and it states the daily bag/possesion limit on each amphibian species is 4. So it is possible to have 4 torosa, 4 grans, 4 rivularis... and so on.

Last edited:
yeah everythings in seperate tanks lol. thanks for the response.

I did look into my Fishing License book and it states the daily bag/possesion limit on each amphibian species is 4. So it is possible to have 4 torosa, 4 grans, 4 rivularis... and so on.

Hey, I have also read this and I am wondering what "daily bag/possesion limit on each amphibian species is 4" means? Does that mean people can take 4 a day?!

They can catch 4 a day as long as they do not keep them. If you release them you can catch 4 the next day. If you keep 4 of them, then you cannot capture anymore as you would have exceeded your possession limit.

Ed

Also, certain species have different bag limits. The only species legal to take are those in a list given(I do not recall, for example, T. rivularis on that list). A few species you can only take 2, and a few species have higher bag limits(fence lizards, bullfrogs).

where in california can i find some newts... behind my house there is a river bed infested with little toads... but no newts or salimanders... does anyone know any place in perticular where i can score some newts...

Sorry, gumbi, this forum has strict rules against posting specific locations for finding animals. Too much chance of exploitation.

where in california can i find some newts... behind my house there is a river bed infested with little toads... but no newts or salimanders... does anyone know any place in perticular where i can score some newts...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back