Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Some adverse side effects of benzimidazole carbamates and related compounds on amphibians

andrew read

Reaction score
Benzimidazole carbamates such as fenbendazole are often recommended to treat amphibian helminth infestations, however there is not much information on the adverse side effects caused by these chemicals.
I have myself noted that at a concentration of only 20 parts of fenbendazole per billion (thousand million) of water, long term exposure causes inappetance in amphibians, and at a concentration of only 200 parts per billion long term exposure results in death. I have seen similar side effects with mebendazole, albendazole and thiophanate.
Many different benzimidazoles have been developed over the years to treat human and animal diseases and also as pesticides for agriculture and horticulture. Such chemicals include the anthelmintic benzimidazole carbamates such as fenbendazole, mebendazole, albendazole, flubendazole, oxfendazole and oxibendazole, the anthelmintic probenzimidazoles such as febantel, netobimin and thiophanate, and the related anthelmintic benzimidazoles such as tiabendazole and triclabendazole. In agriculture related compounds such as benomyl are used as fungicides.
It can be expected that many if not all of these chemicals will have similar side effects on amphibians. Because of their widespread use residues in soil and in small ponds might reach the above concentration values in some places and have adverse effects on amphibian populations; some care over their use might therefore be a good idea I think.
In contrast the antifungal imidazoles such as ketoconazole and clotrimazole do not appear to have these adverse side effects, nor do the antifungal triazoles such as itraconazole, nor the antiprotozoal nitroimidazoles such as metronidazole and dimetridazole.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ed

Reaction score
Hi Andrew,

Wht do you mean by long term exposure? When used as an antihelmetic treatment appropriately the exposure time should be limited and it should not be used as a continous exposure treatment.

Further down in your post you refer to possible envirmental side effects of exposure but if used properly at the correct dosages and not as a continual treatment the enviromental impact should be small or negligible particuarly when compared to the preventitive worming practices used in feed lots.

Fungal agents such as itraconazole and miconazole have other issues such as not being readily able to dissolve in water and have a low pH which has been implicated as a cause of death in at anurans when used as a treatment.

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1