Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

what is my newt?

Renee

Reaction score
I know it is a firebelly but what kind? He is fat and has a wide tail, I think its a he. and his belly has dots. so is it chinese or japanese or what? thanks CIMG23771.jpg

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If you bought it at a pet shop, it's almost positively C.orientalis, a Chinese firebelly.

mikephoto

Reaction score
Can you take some photos of your tank ?
Did you make a waterfall it looks real good

Renee

Reaction score
Decorative Reptofilter

Hey heres a pic of my tank, I bought a Decorative Reptofilter from Petco.com its really nice. Also I put a little underwater cave on the right but he never goes in there, he likes to sit on top tho and stick his head out of the water. I just put some fake plants on top of the rock for him to hide behind. I still have a lot of plans for it, especially some more real live plants like the little bamboo. Does anyone have any ideas?01-29-07_1807.jpg

tomthlee

Reaction score
Cool tank! I just bought Chinese firebellies as well this week. One is healthy as can be and the other is sick and in a 'hospital' tank. The bamboo looks nice. Some java moss would complement it well. Your pet shop probably has a large selection of live underwater plants.

Oh yeah, I think the tank would do a lot better with a compact fluorescent bulb instead of the incandescent heat bulb. Look for the 10-13 watt DAYLIGHT COOL WHITE spiral bulbs. It produces much less heat and is probably better for live plants. Anyway, keep us updated! I'll post pics of my CFB in a new thread soon.

maniaticguy

Reaction score
I know it is a firebelly but what kind? He is fat and has a wide tail, I think its a he. and his belly has dots. so is it chinese or japanese or what? thanksView attachment 638
i think he is a japanes fire bellied newt because the japanes ones have a almost brown back but the photo tha you show is from the under side of your newts so it is hard to tell exatly:confused:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Color is highly variable. This is a chinese firebelly. Japanese are RARELY available in the pet trade any more.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1