Breeding Chinese Fire belly newts

ssbon18

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Sandra
I have a female fb newt that laid eggs about 3-4 months ago. when she was the only newt I had. I only found about 5 eggs that she laid since I figured they were infirtile I left them in the tank and were gone by the next day. A few months ago I bout another fb newt, bart, whom I believe is a male. Bart gets along very well with my female newt, froogle. They even eat together and do not fight over the food. Two days Ago i purchased java moss to give them real plants and they both love it. They are always hiding in it or on top of it (Its hard to find them now, except when they come out to eat the food they see) My female is about 4 - 4.5 inches long and the male is about 2.5 inches long. Is the male mature enough to breed ? What is the possibility that they will breed if they are a pair ? I have had the female for about 8 months and the male for about 2 months. If there is a possibility that they will breed around when is the breeding time to look out for eggs to take out so they are not eaten ? Thanks

If it is a pair and they are both healthy, they should breed sooner or later. Give them time. IME breeding starts in Fall/winter, but a lot of other people say it starts during the spring for them. I am horrible at guessing lengths, but I have had some pretty midgety males produce spermatophores. Check for cloacal swelling/restlessness as breeding season approaches.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back