Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Combine's

halala85

Banned
Reaction score
Hey Guys, ive got a massive wide fish tank... the point is i want to combine all my fish in that tank...
what combine's could i do

i have
2x axol's white & black
2xx Damio's
2x Male fighting Fish
2x Female fighting fish

i have put a sucking fish in with my axol's in a small thank but they ended up eating him when i came back from work, i know the fighting fish wont nibble on the axol's ears because they arent like other fish but im not sure about the damio's... also would the axol's eat the fish up ?

Pls recommend... if none could go in there with the axol's what can i put in there ?

Also i had the axol's in a smaller tank but they seemed to get the water dirty heaps quick and cloudy so i had to get a bigger tank and a ehiem fish tank.

Pictures are attached of tank and my axol's

Attachments

• IMAGE_00014.jpg
    IMAGE_00014.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 160
  • IMAGE_00015.jpg
    IMAGE_00015.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 145

kapo

Reaction score
I've moved this to the axolotl part of the forum.

Combine your fish if you like. But don't combine your axolotls, which you know of course are not fish! Just keep your axolotls separate if you want healthy, unstressed axolotls

Don't the fighters need a warmer temperature than axolotls anyway? Axolotls tankwater temperature should be kept below 20C.

How long have you had the axolotls?

What do you feed your axolotls? Earthworms are the best food for axolotls.

How long is the current tank the axolotls are in?

Read around this part of the forum as well as: www.axolotl.org

Last edited:

ianclick

Reaction score
Kia Ora Halala

My brother kept axies and fish together thats how our axie (a gift from him) got the bite out of his tail after a mini battle over the live food (fish)

The feathery bitd by the head are gills not ears. they need them to breathe so best idae not to let anything damage them.

All the info suggests don't mix axies and fish. some people would disagree.

As a general rule I follow the advise of the moderators They know what they are on about from experience not just books.

Good Luck

Ian

Abrahm

Reaction score
i have
2x axol's white & black
2xx Damio's
2x Male fighting Fish
2x Female fighting fish

Let us start with this one. All the fish you listed are tropical (as axolotls are temperate amphibians not fish) and will not mix well with axolotls. Even if they did I would not trust your fighting fish, Betta splendens, with axoltols as they are quite well known for being fin nippers, or in this case, gill nippers. Also, 2 male fighting fish in any tank, unless we are talking truly huge and with good break up of the surface is just asking for one of the animals to stress out and die. Two female fish can be risky too.

Also, contrary to common knowledge Betta do best at tropical temperatures of at least 76F. Just like your danios, which I assume are zebra danios. Also, both fish species could easily wind up as axolotl food.

i have put a sucking fish in with my axol's in a small thank but they ended up eating him when i came back from work

You got really lucky here as "sucking fish" which I'm going to assume is H. plecostomus, is a very well protected fish with bony defensive rays in both its pectoral and dorsal fins. These can easily cause an axolotl extreme injury and can choke the animal if it tries to regurgitate the fish.

The short and simple answer is that the great majority of fish do not do well with axolotls. The only species that has seen some success with keepers is the White Cloud Mountain minnow which is from cold montane streams. If you add fish though, you have to realize that you must deal with the waste of the axolotls and the fish which can be quite bit in total!

naymo

Reaction score
Hi Halala,

Its not a good idea to mix fish with axies as fish wil nip at parts of an axies body and cause injury and stress.
Axolotls would most likley end up eating your beautiful fighting fish as well.
An it is known that mixing male fighting fish ends up in...well Fights and can induce stress on all the fish.

Male fighters should be keep seperate as they usually fight to death.
Females may be put together its rare that they fight but can get agressive to one and another.

halala85

Banned
Reaction score
Hey guys the tank is 900x360, also like to add yeah fighting fish are tropical but never had them in warm water.. they like in small containers, just like you see them in the fish shop.. ive had my fighting fish for 3 months.. ive had my axolotls for around 2 weeks now they eat pellets but am going to change there diet to earth worms as suggested. It might sound weird but my fighting fish dont fight each other never have and guess never will have had them together for a long time so they are used to each other.. the fighting fish dont let out alot of waste but the axolotls let out ALOT but thats the main reason why i got a bigger tank and a bigger filter.

kapo

Reaction score
Did you cycle the new tank for the axolotls? see: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml

And is the 900x360 the axolotl tank or another tank?

If you didn't cycle the tank keep an eye on the water parameters, specifically ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. How often do you do waterchanges on their tank?

Regardless you shouldn't put fish with the axolotls.

Last edited:

kapo

Reaction score
The tank won't cycle in the week! Read the cycling article.

Do you have any freshwater test kits for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

If you do, test your water daily, if the ammonia or nitrite levels are above 0, do a 20-30% waterchange immediately same day.

Do not add any chemicals the petshops suggest. Only one needed is one to treat tapwater to remove chlorine and chloramines. The waterchanges will lower any toxins in the water. If you don't you will notice your axies may get stressed and fungus may develop or they'll get sick.

Buy a turkey baster, this will help with any daily spot cleaning as well.

naymo

Reaction score
Ok your choice mate..
You can combine your fish but in doing so you could potentially kill them and your axies.
Its not a good idea..Kapo and Abrahm are VERY experienced and i dont mind you going back on my advise but I have major respect for all advise they give out and for them in person, they are experts and we are all saying the same message.

Maybe invest that tank as a axie tank..Axolotls can grow up to 30cm or 12 inches..and they look stunning in big tanks.

Abrahm

Reaction score
We must be talking 900mm by 360mm? That's not a very large tank in all reality. I would say that is just big enough for only two axolotls. So those two animals could live well in that tank as long as you are careful to cycle it like Kapo has advised or carefully monitor the water quality daily. I wouldn't want to put in any other animals in that tank, especially while it is cycling.

I would also advise you to avoid the fighting fish again as they do best at tropical temperatures and they are known to nip fins or gills.

Amiracle

Reaction score
Let us start with this one. All the fish you listed are tropical (as axolotls are temperate amphibians not fish) and will not mix well with axolotls. Even if they did I would not trust your fighting fish, Betta splendens, with axoltols as they are quite well known for being fin nippers, or in this case, gill nippers. Also, 2 male fighting fish in any tank, unless we are talking truly huge and with good break up of the surface is just asking for one of the animals to stress out and die. Two female fish can be risky too.

Also, contrary to common knowledge Betta do best at tropical temperatures of at least 76F. Just like your danios, which I assume are zebra danios. Also, both fish species could easily wind up as axolotl food.
DO NOT put two fighting fish together, and definitely not with axies. Just because they have never fought before doesn't mean the change in condition will not cause them to fight. also, axies are hungry buggers and will try to eat your fish- so unless you want casualties, this is a silly thing to do. If you can't care for them properly, or don't have space give some away.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1