Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hes dead

Renee

Reaction score
Oh no my newt is dead he was ok a couple hrs ago. Now I just seen him n the water and he is dead, his skin has been shedding but on his tail I seen some yellow looking flakes. He didn't freeze in the water do u think? Also I noticed he had a club leg, it was deformed kinda twisted the wrong way and he wouldn't eat, I offered him blood worms this morning with some tweezers. I want to buy a new one but I am afraid to get another one for fear he will die too. I am so sad I tried so hard to take care of him. Any suggestions? Tips on another one, the big question I have is a light. Also his 12 hrs light 12 hrs dark wasn't just right. Poor George

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If you're going to get another, don't get it from the pet shop. Get it from a reputable breeder so it's healthy and not stressed. Do more research on a species you'd like and get them from a breeder.

Your water was nowhere near cold enough to freeze him. As I told you earlier, they are active at temperatures near freezing. 70F is at the top range of their temperature, not the low range.

You don't need a light. It's not imperative that they have artificial light.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, your experience is very common. I would guess that the vast majority of the wild-caught CFB die within 2 months of import. If you buy another, your money is going to support the continued importation of these newts, most of whom end up like George.

He definitely didn't freeze. And the light cycle was fine. What happened is mostly the fault of the importation/retail process.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!