Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I've done a bit of a bad thing...

fuzzyletters

Reaction score
I have had a 2.5 gallon aquarium available (once I take the Creek Chub out of it) for a salamander to be collected in the future but have not yet set it up. This, obviously, would not be a problem except that today I captured a Eurycea Cirrigera and am currently housing it with a couple of rocks and some mud in a fairly spacious 'critter keeper' type enclosure (with lid).
If it's the best option, I can release it as it hasn't been fed or come in contact with plants or animals from other ecosystems yet.
Right now I need to know what to do to keep it healthy in its temporary home, and then I need to set up the 2.5 gallon. Immediately I'm most worried about moisture, though I put a bit of creek water in the enclosure to make sure it didn't dry out right away. Once I figure out how to keep him in the short term, I'd like to ask some questions about the long term (if there is one).
I have fish and I understand the nitrogen cycle pretty well etc. I've kept salamanders before, but had no idea what I was doing and they overheated (I was about 8 at the time). I'd like to do it right this time, and although I know I've not put my best foot forward, I hope I can redeem myself.
Thanks... sorry if I've committed a terrible crime. :(

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have a read of this caresheet if you haven’t already: http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Eurycea/Eurycea_sp.shtml

A simple setup works best. A couple of inches of de-chlorinated water, a few rocks or bricks piled up so that they emerge from the water and a clump of moss on top. If you have an air pump you can aerate the water to give it some movement and replicate a bubbling stream.

My only concern about critter keepers is they have those grilled lids which keep animals in but let small prey items escape. I keep mine in a Rubbermaid style box with a tight fitting lid and a few small air holes. Be warned Eurycea are expert climbers and can squeeze through the smallest of gaps.

fuzzyletters

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the quick response... I've got it set up pretty well for right now (about 1'' of water, a few rocks for hidingunder/climbing onto, bubbler for water movement) I think and I'm going to go get some food for him in a minute.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
To keep the prey items in, I would suggest putting a piece of cloth between the lid and the remainder of the critter keeper.

fuzzyletters

Reaction score
Aha... that's a good idea, but for right now I'm just feeding pieces of earthworms by hand. Thanks though. :) Thinking ahead, is it really best to use a sandy substrate for the water portion of a semiaquatic tank? I have rather big gravel that I was hoping to use but if ingestion is a common problem then I won't. Also, would some kind of topsoil or potting soil work instead, perhaps mixed with gravel? I'm going to plant both the aquatic and terrestrial areas, so...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!