another new friend

niajetze

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
carrie
you now how people talk well a friend of a friend of a friend has just 'gifted' me with a fire belly newt I have placed him for now in a cycled tank i had set up for a tiger salamander (after much research) I have made sure it can get in and out of the water and it seems ok ...can you all confirm that this set up is ok (wet mossy land& water 50/50 java moss plants ect) i have plenty of blood worm/ daphinia for it and have NO concern about the size of the tank --- are they good climers as i havnt got a lid for it yet. also it is missing a foot will this grow back like with axies and is there the same risk of fungus. Can you confirm the species for me too to make sure i read the correct stuff.

Attachments

• Picture 134.jpg
    Picture 134.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 215
  • Picture 135.jpg
    Picture 135.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 223
It appears to me that you have been gifted a Cynops orientalis, but I am no expert. Most newts are great little climbers so get a lid as soon as possible - in fact in the mean time I would put the newt in a small rubbermaid container or the like where you know it cannot get out. Keep the temps as cool as possible as this will help relieve stress and also help your new little friend fight off any infection while the new limb is growing back. Newts like axies have great regenerating abilities as long as they stay healthy throughout the process. High temps cause newts stress and lower their immune systems, making them more prone to fungal/bacterial infections. I would also add to make sure the enclosure has lots of hiding places so the newt can feel more secure and to reduce stress. Pet shop newts are notorious for having poor health but with the right care I think your addition will be fine. I wish you the best of luck!
Heather

This newt was 'found' by his son (he thinks he might of bought it from the local pet shop with his pocket money) the only pet shop that stocks them round here keeps them in the tropical section so have a sneaking suspicion it might of been kept in wam water water temp at the moment is 16 c (i have never seen it over 21c) so temp isnt a problem i have provided plenty of hiding places and included some baby water lettuce & a old 'terrapin station' for it my mate is coming over laer to make a temp lid for the tank. good to know the limb will grow back it seems happy enough and has eaten already i am concerned though as on closer inspection i can see something white on the end of its stub (which looks quite swollen) i do not think it is fungus ... bone maybe??

I think a 50/50 setup will have too much land in the long run for a CFB. Once they reached adulthood, they seldom go on land.

The leg wound will grow back. If it get fuzzy, that will be fungus. I have fixed a fungus problem with one of my CFB by giving a parafix wash.

You will definately need a lid. They can even crawl out of a small gap that you wouldn't think they can get out.

lid was fixed last night (good too as i found him at the top of the tank when i woke up good going for a newt with one leg) i will set up a better long term tank but i think the tank it is in at the moment will do for a while. the 'swelling' it appears is part of its palm as on close inspection it has 1 thumbl ooks like its lost most of the palm and the rest of the fingers he is keeping out of the water and keeping the injured limb up and out of the water is this normal & are there any behaviours I can keep an eye out for that might indicate he is taking a turn for the worst. I will by some of that stuff just incase I feel I do need it but the white doesnt appear 'fluffy' at the moment

another another new friend

my sister being helpful (i was moaning about having just one fire salamander in a huge tank and saying that I will keep him but will definately need more than one as they are so small.... and cute) bought me another while in manchester today................one problem I dont think it is a fire salamander (she meant well) here is a pic identify for me please (though i have a sneaking suspicion I am going to need ANOTHER tank) dont worry they are being kept separate (quarentine if nothing else)

Attachments

• Picture 150.jpg
    Picture 150.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 244
that one is a paddletail a very aggressive species and should not be mixed with you firebelly..

thats what i figured ....... just wanted confirmation. I am just reading up on them now...... i do aim to read up BEFORE I get them do the set up give it time to cycle etc but it doesnt seem to work that way ..... two new newts two different species in one week AND I HAVN;T BOUGHT ANY OF THEM. all I wanted was a tiger sal :( ..... oh well I have plenty of room.

I haven't read every word of this thread, but if nobody has said so yet, YES, they are good climbers! (This goes for virtually all species of newt/sal!) And climbing is usually deadly, as they often dry out before being found. Please read:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/escape.shtml

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back