John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Display Name
John Clare
OK, call me a bit crazy (wouldn't be the first time) but how about it? Now that I've lost my qualms about driving distances (John learned to drive in December 2005 at the tender age of 28), how about we have a get together somewhere in the US? I know there have been informal meet-ups before, like IAD a few years ago? And many of the UK people got together a few years ago too, I believe at Dave Herbert's new house. Perhaps we should push the envelope a little. Ideas for locations, or anything else, are welcome. Right now I'm just brainstorming and my brain needs all of the help it can get!

This would be an awesome idea. I would totally love to meet some of the people behind the usernames.

Why not have it in Minneapolis/St. Paul? If you've been to Dallas, John, then you can see the other end of Interstate 35 ;)

A central US location would be awesome, but maybe it would be better to see where people are and what not. I am interested though.

I like Kaysie's idea of tying it to a major event, the trouble is finding one that is of interest to a larger group of us. IAD would be my choice and a caudata sub-gathering would be enough to get me to go again...Baltimore is pretty centrally located for east coasters and has it's own airport plus DC's 2 to help keep costs down. Just my 2 cents...

Anyone going to Daytona this year? I know that Florida is out of the way for many people but it is a fun show.
Chip

At this time, IAD will not be in Baltimore.. It will be in Philadelphia, PA.

There is also frogday in New York this year.. I will be speaking on caecilians if anyone wants to get together.

Ed

I would definitely second both Kaysie's choice of location and tying this up with a bigger convention. Sounds like a lot of fun to me.

I like the idea of IAD or perhaps going to a zoo that has a good salamander collection. Usually their are at least a handfull of caudata.org people at IAD. I'm guessing about 9 or 10 last year. I think one of our members used to work at a campground in the Smokey Mountains. That could be a great field trip. Maybe we could find a world famous reptile and amphibian photographer that could host a trip or meeting at a reasonable cost?

If IAD is in Philadelphia I'm definitely open to attending. I want to see Ed's zoo!

Actually, when is IAD?

IAD is usually in May/June. I'd be up for a trip to PA.

I think a field trip is a good idea, especially the Appalacians, if not IAD.

Chip, I don't have the money to go to Daytona this year. It's on the list of events, but it's at the bottom, as it's the furthest away, geographically.

I'd like Midwest, as I can drive there fairly easily (7 hours to Des Moines), and it's a lot sooner than next year's IAD. Regardless of who shows up, I'll be at Midwest.

If we do have a meeting at IAD we should try to influence the committee to have some good caudate speakers like they did this year. IAD is nice but it is still mostly a dart frog conference.

In regard to meeting at a show then I agree that IAD is the most logical choice, at least for those of us on the East coast. It would also give us a lot of time to make plans. I still like idea of meeting in the Smokey Mtns for a field trip. For those that have not been there is plenty to do for non-caudate loving members of the family (shopping, attractions, etc). Kaysie, I threw up the idea of Daytona because I am probably making the trip down this year but I do realize that Florida seems to be out of the loop for most people on this forum.
Chip

Boy, but wouldn't it be fun (though improbable) to all go herping together at Opal Creek! (remember that guidebook that we posted about to that park in Oregon)

The timing of this would have to be right for me but I am quite keen on attending if we can get a good Caudata.org attendance. Perhaps we could arrange something semi-official with the IAD people.

The first hotel fell through as it doesn't have enough space so the IAD committee is looking at other nearby venues. The show will either be the last weekend of April or in May. It depends on what is available at the different venues. Once the venue is set we will be looking to recruit speakers....

At this time I am pushing for a Pine Barrens' Field trip which although caudate poor would have lots of other cool animals....

I would like to have people visit my Zoo but the amphibian and caudate collection is a poor poor shadow of the days when Dr. Wright was the curator (when we had Andrias all the way down to Notopthalmus, now we have Cynops, Pleurodeles and Necturus).... so I don't people to get thier hopes too high...

The other option to set up a couple of herping get togethers..

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back