Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

redback with eggs

mikebenard

Reaction score
This weekend I was flipping some rocks while in the woods of western New York. I did not expect to see salamanders, as it has been very dry there. However, I was happily surprised when I flipped this rock:

Plethodon_rock.jpg

and found a redback salamander (Plethodon cinereus) guarding her eggs!

Plethodon_cinereus_eggs_SIG.jpg

This was a real treat. After observing probably over 1,000 P. cinereus in the wild, this is the first time I have encountered one with eggs!

I also ran into a lot of Desmognathus ochrophaeus in a nearby stream.

Desmognathus_ochrophaeus_June07SIG.jpg

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Very nice. That's my new favorite photo of P. cinereus. Was the ground really as dry as it looks?

mikebenard

Reaction score
Thanks! Glad you like the photo.

The ground was very dry. I was surprised to see any salamanders - let alone one with eggs! It did rain that night, so perhaps her clutch of eggs will make it.

i_love_necturus

Reaction score
Yeah great pictures! Plethodon cinereus must be breeding in the empty lot by my house because there are always young ones in there, still haven't found one with eggs. Jen's right, that may be one of if not my favorite picture of P. cinereus.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!