Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How do you feed an axie blood worms?

stephen

Reaction score
I just bought some frozen blood worms because I thought they should get something else to eat besides beaf heart. But I don't know how to feed my axie the blood worms. They are all stuck together before I put them into the water but as soon as they go into the water all off the worms seperate and they go everywhere. My axie can't eat them and they make a big mess. So how do I feed it to them?

jay_coward

Reaction score
Hold the cube when feeding them. Shake it around a little bit to make some worms loose, then wave the cube in front of the axie. The axie should grab the worms or whole cube like mine does and try to swollaw it. If they spit it out it just means it wont fit into their mouth. Just quickly grab the cube (or whats left) and put in in your axies face again and they should suck it up.

Its just like feeding them an earthworm. Wave the food in front of them and they should grab the cube.

frilly_fan

Reaction score
blood worms...

yes they are messy. our wee axie girl was very clever and used to suck them up from a wee feeding tray at the bottom of the tank. We used to put a clump of worms on a pair of surgical tweezers ( without sharp ends) for the boy axie to grab at...

g_k

Reaction score
i use a feeding dish. put down the frozen cube inbetween two dishes in the water and leave for 5 mins (i use dishes meant for plant pots) and it will defrost into a nice pile when you take off the top dish.

ianclick

Reaction score
Kia Ora I agree with Jay and Sheely. The only thing with hand feeding is clean hands. Our Hands come into contact with a lot of stuff routinely that can be harmful to axies so wash your hands well first.

kapo

Reaction score
You should really thaw and rinse the bloodworm cube (with dechlorinated water or a bit of tank water) before putting into the tank. It cuts down on water quality problems, the thawing ice keeping the cube together, when dropped straight into the tank adds to the wasteload in the tank. And if you don't keep on top of your tank testing and waterchanges when needed, this can cause an ammonia/nitrite buildup.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!