salt for larva

lims

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Sam
i have been told that small amount of salt can be put into larvae water to stop them geting fungus and dieing, i previously lost all my larvae for no apparent reason, is little amounts of salt ok to keep fungus out of water, (im doing daily partial water changes too)

I would be quite leery of using salt as a prophylactic. From my understanding of how salt works as an anti-fungal agent it may actually be detrimental to use it at low concentrations over a long period of time as it would allow the fungus to build a tolerance and make actual salt baths less effective. There is also the fact that salt in the water may be stressful and result in less healthy larvae and higher mortality.

There may be different (and more experienced) opinions on this matter, but I personally would not recommend it.

The use of salt is safe as long as it is used in moderation (about 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of water).

If you are losing your larva to fungal infections then this is a strong indication that there is some kind of husbandry problem as fungal infections typically occur in stressed animals.

What is pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and temperature of the containers for the larva. How often are you feeding them, how often and how much are you changing the water? Are you doing anything with the water before you add it to the tank?

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back