Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Play time!

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Over the last few weeks Jeffrey has developed a 'game'. I bring my little treasures home from school and they dump their lunch boxes in front of the tank, I then persue them through the house bellowing various stock lines ( pick that up, put that away etc) . In time I amble pack into the kitchen and I am usually met with jeffrey's little face flooating over the top of the lunch boxes watching whats going on, his head and body tend to follow my movements, and as the wall is removed he settles down into his corner. He then watches me prepare tea etc. very patiantly. Its then time for the washing up, bed time drinks and the battle ritual of sending the monsters to bed. In general he seems to stay quietly watching. Now at approx 9pm I return, if I am foolish enougth to move away he does that lip smacking thing ( like letting a bubble out loudly) a few times quite quickly. This is then enough to remind me that I have on emore task to complete... feed time!!
I have been hand feeding them as I am quite new to them and I wanted to be certain what they are eating, up until recently he would gently take the food from me ( princess on the other hand is fast as in a kinda smash and grab movement)The last few days though he has taken to examining the food then he gently nuzzles my fingers and then he takes hold of the worm with his mouth and places a foot on me while he quietly chomps.
Needless to say I have decided that this is some sign of affection rather than feed me and leave me now reaction! So I just thaught I'd share this with you.

tashie7161

Reaction score
aww bella, Jeffrey sounds so cute. I'm rather new to Follie, and i like to feed her and watch to make sure shes eating etc. I feed her blood worms through a syringe so i can dangle them and then she eats them, how ever she seems more content with playing with the syringe and knocking it about, she looks like shes smiling when shes doing it as well! its very cute. The other day i got in after being out with a few friends and she came right up the glass n was trying to get at me which was sooo sweet. :eek:

naymo

Reaction score
Banda's tank is in my room...I feed her a couple of pellets in the morning and a couple and a worm at night. If i try and sleep in she gets all reckless and swims about ripping up the plants...So i play a littl game with her..When she starts doing that i sit up..and she stops.Then i pretend to go back to sleep and she does it more.:)

g_k

Reaction score
fraggle does the nuzzling thing to. its very cute. i dont have a set rutine with my three but maybe i will start one lol

ianclick

Reaction score
Mine too have developed little rituals and behaviours around feeding. I don't know if they are capable of emotional connection or if their brains function at that level.

All the reading I have done would suggest not. Just when I think that its me projecting one will do something that will make me think again.

I guess they are like many species that will modify a behaviour to a certain end. But I don't know if anyone does know I would like too.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi , I agree with you Click, his behaviour has developed because he gets a succesful reaction..food ( I'm much the same) One of my cats has developed the habit of slamming the food cupboard door ( only at me..hubby just kicks him out side) and doing the most pathetic meow , I needless to say find it amusing and reward him with food . The axolotl are certainly curious little chaps and appear to enjoy watching the goings on around the kitchen, they trundle up and down the tank to get into better positions to see whats going on..I would love to know how good their eye site is as I am sure Jeffrey's eyes seem to follow movement out side the tank.....on that note I spend far too much time watching them, but I think they are so facinating .

clairey85

Reaction score
hehe Maurice is very much the same in my room- the other day i introduced more plants into the tank and he was "asleep" i guess because it was during the day, but the moment i put my hand in the tank and placed the plant he turned his head and ambled over to investigate....

so who knows? I dont think they are completely blind - and he follows me around the tank when i walk in and out of my room if it happens to be his "active" time of afternoon :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1