brine shrimp in 24 hrs

niajetze

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
carrie
I tried a new technique yesterday to hatch bbs and was amazed to find most hatched after just 24 hrs(22 hrs to be exact) got the eggs (1tea spoon in 1 litre of water soaked for 1.30 hrs added 2 table spoons salt and aerated) so what did I do differently? well normally I use a heater/thermometer to keep the water warm but am trying to be eco friendly so I placed it instead above where my heat/uv lamp for my tortoises is (risk of electrocution i know but am not very safety conscious) as it get quite warm but never boiling and voila loads of bbs fast- - - could the uv have something to do with the fast hatching I wonder?

24 hours is a perfectly normal hatch time if the temperature is above 25 degrees celcius. In these days the temperature in front of the window (sunlight and warmth) is good enough. I don't think sunlight is necessary, though i could be wrong.

I always have a lot of hatchlings (hundreds of them), however only about 20 survive to adulthood, I have no idea why so little.

i am aware 24hrs is normal however the thermometer read 27 c as it did with the heater only i would say all of them seemed to hatch in 24hrs normally most half would hatch in this time and i would have to wait a while for the rest i think the uv bumped up the success rate

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back