Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Dehydrated Tiger Salamander

Cpace

Reaction score
Today I found my tiger shriveled up and I thought he was dead. I washed him in water to clean him before burrying him and he breathed. For the past few hours i have been soaking and spraying him with water and he is looking much less shriveled. No Vet is available to see him until tomorrow morning. Does anyone know of any other way to deal with dehydration in the meantime?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think it needs a vet. I've found a few that were pretty shriveled, and soaked them in plain dechlorinated tap water and had them come out just fine.

jshadowstalker

Ambystoma Enthusiast
Reaction score
i've had a few of min do that also, with a lg shallow water dish in there tank. i spray them once a week to stop it now, they hate it but oh well.

Ed

Reaction score
Depending on how badly dehydrated the salamander was it may have problems with osmotic balance so you may also want to consider using amphibian ringers solution.

Ed

Reeney

Reaction score
do you know how long yours was dehydrated for? and how long did it take them to wake up?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1