Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Urgent Help!

tashie7161

Reaction score
Ealier i posted a topic about Follies gills going white because she was inactive, and then i noticed a light cut on her gills, i put her in the fridge and just got to get her out, her gills are healed, no blood or anything, but i noticed she was moving much but thought well in that cold state hardly surprising but just put her back in her tank she she keeps floating on her left side and shes looking rather lifeless :( she is still moving but very little, I'm very worried, what should i do?

Also I havent had her long and i got her from the local holly bush where she did have gravel, could this be whats causing her to float?

Last edited:

Ed

Reaction score
gravel impaction has been reported to cause odd floating in axolotls.

Ed

tashie7161

Reaction score
I think ive spotted a little fungus on her face, but im not sure its hard to get a picture?... im going to search to see what fungus looks like and if its fungus she'll be having a salt bath, how much salt though roughly?

tashie7161

Reaction score
Thank you Ed for the article.
She still seems lifeless, and i really don't know what else to do? this is what she looks like at the moment

Attachments

• DSC01835.JPG
    DSC01835.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 213

Ed

Reaction score
What is the temperature of the axolotl? Cold animals will have little movement or thier responses to stimulus will be very slow so this may not be unusual.

I would suggest lowering the level of the water so the axolotl is no longer floating but resting on the bottom.
If it is an impaction then the gravel can be causing significant discomfort that maybe relieved to some extent by the change in depth and the inability to float.

Keep in mind that it is hard to help with these sort of items over the net.. but we are trying so please be patient.
Ed

tashie7161

Reaction score
At the moment shes 16C do you think putting her back in the fridge might be best or leave her out now? and I've just lowered the water level a little more.

I'm sorry, i am trying to be patient, and I'm very very grateful for you helping me, I just don't want to loose her :(

tashie7161

Reaction score
Thank you, i have now read that too, i just hope she'll be ok. i will leave her in her tub keeping the temp low, and just monitor her.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1