Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Banda's got company....

naymo

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Today I brought a gorgeous blue eyed leucistic :D
I think shes a girl...she makes Banda look like guy seriously..
Anyways I am quarintining her.

Just wondering if Banda will be territorial at all.Is it common for axies whom have been living in a tank longer than the newcomer to get aggressive with them for a while.
If so would this die down? Do axoltols mistake others gills for food?
Oh, can't wait till quaraintine is over.

Thanks alot guys.
Naymo,Banda and..well...no name:)

ianclick

Reaction score
Hey Naymo,

I have just put ollie in with hendrix and they are quite happy. There was one incident when they were first introduced when Hendrix headbutted ollie because he was on some food.

Apart from that He followed ollie around the tank for a day and a bit. Oliee spent most of this time hiding in a cave.

Yesterday after 3 days they seemed to have sorted out who likes which parts of the habitat. They are mixing well lying on top of each other and chasing things together and then ignoring each other.

They both had different behaviours in their individual tanks and they have started them up again after 3 days. Hendrix is back to swimming laps and Ollie has found a new circuit to do.

I am feeding them at different ends of the tank just incase there was any non sharing tendencies and so I can make sure that they are both getting all they need to eat.

Ollie was quarentined for 38 days before I combined them.

So far no dramas

Cheers

ian

naymo

Reaction score
Thanks Ian,

That has made me feel more confident. I've always wanted a leucistic. They are my favorite..but Bandas my baby and I was talking to Mum in the car when we went to go pick up the new one, I told her that if the new one hurt banda i'd be so upset, but after giving it some thought I decided it would probably be Banda hurting the leucistic as Banda is so bossy and spoilt.

Im sure it would be ok.

niajetze

Reaction score
if you are really concerned you can use a tank separator for a while so they can get used to the idea of each other

jay_coward

Reaction score
When i put a new one in, Shifter only bit them once each. It was over food. Other then that nothing. They'll probably be best friends :D

g_k

Reaction score
fraggle had the advantage of being much bigger so just squashed boo and yoshi a few times and that sorted that out. i know she did this on purpose as she would swim up to the top and float/swim till she was over them (even following them if they were moving) and then drop on top of them and stamp all over them. lol

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1