Axies Mating or territory signals??

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Kirsten Rae
My axies, not sure of the sexes, we think male and female, earlier were doing things that they have never done before. The "female" one had her tail lifted and her area was enlarged and she was waving her tail. The "male" one was following her around and he looked like he was trying to get on top of her but didnt look like he succeeded. They both were interested in each other's "areas" and their behavior just seemed odd. They have never acted like that before. The "male" we think is older than the female. There have been temperature chages because we sometimes put bottles of ice water in there and we feed them a lot, also the tips of their nails are dark. Did we witness them mating or was it just a terrioty thing?! thanx a lot

sounds like courtship to me. the mating starts with them nudging each others areas. the male will start leading the female around the tank, looking like he is being bossy. then he will lay his sperm on the bottom and push her over it so she picks it up then the eggs are fertalized inside her, she will then in a few days start laying her eggs. sounds to me like your axies will soon be parents:D

a few days?

hey thanx so much for replying so quickly! just one question...a few days? how long is that!? lol...like 3 days or a few weeks?
p.s... thank goodness we were hoping that they were male and female, but i guess its apparent that they are! YAY!!!

Those "few days" are unpredictable. It may take a number of attempts until they succeed with the fertilization. And the female will only lay if she is truly ready. If she's still young, she might not lay at all. Or she could be laying right now;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back