Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Dying Axolotl please help

Donna

Reaction score
This is Roger about 1 yr old. I had him in a tank with another axolotl but took him out cause he's not eating and has been floating. Previously the tank had gravel in it but i took it out about 1 week ago as i read they can swallow gravel. I dont know what is wrong with him but he looks very bloated and is swallon around the bottom. He also has black mould around his mouth and has lost most of his gills. Can you please help me.

Attachments

• DSCI0008.jpg
    DSCI0008.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 557
  • DSCI0010.jpg
    DSCI0010.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 571
  • DSCI0013.jpg
    DSCI0013.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 541
Last edited:

g_k

Reaction score
if you put him in the fridge the colder temp will help him pass anything that might be blocking him up.

keep a bottle of declorinated water in the fridge with him so that when you do water changes the temp stays the same.

good luck. he is lovely.

Donna

Reaction score
Thanks Shelly for your reply. How long do i leave him in the fridge for?

g_k

Reaction score
make sure the temp isnt below 5 degrees. thats something for you to decide but i would think about 5-7 days. from what others have said its better to leave them in for a longer stretch than keep putting them in and out. you might also try salt baths if it is fungus. keep the water in the fridge just above the axolotls back so that he can touch the bottom of the container.

dont worry about food, they can go a lot longer than a week.

others have had a lot more experience with sick axolotls than me so hopefully someone else will reply if they have anything more useful to say than me.

i dont belive that the fridge is the best thing for every ill an axolotl might get but i know the colder temp forces the axolotl to poo and i think it may very well be a piece of gravel which has got stuck and so with luck the cold will do the trick.

Ed

Reaction score
Ingestion of gravel can cause impactions and bloating. It can take a significant period of time to pass the gravel.

Since you removed the gravel have you tested the water in the tank to make sure that it isn't cycling again? Sometimes bloating is also caused by poor water conditions.

Ed

tara

Reaction score
sick axie same as yours

Hi Donna, our Charlie is sick like your Roger, Charlie was on gravel as well, but hasn't been for months now. Charlie stopped eating 11 days ago, i put him in a really cold container which helped him pass two large pieces of gravel, so i put him back in his tank, still wouldn't eat so i put him back in his cold container for another week, he has not passed any more gravel and is still not eating, i have put him back in his tank, he just sits there, does nothing and wont eat. I am going to leave him in his tank, he is no worse but is really thin now. I don't know what else to do for him, i know what you are going through. Your pic of Rogers rear end is the exact same as Charlies. Charlies outlook is not good. Best wishes with Roger.

Donna

Reaction score
Roger Died

My Roger died a half hour ago. He did a big poo over night but there was no gravel in it. He had bloated so much and was barely moving just sitting there. I did everything i could possibly do to help him but i think he was beyond help. Im very sad to see him go but at least now i dont have to see him suffer. Tara i wish you all the best with Charlie.

g_k

Reaction score
sorry to hear that. maybe it was a bacterial infection. you did your best though. hugs

tara

Reaction score
So sorry

Donna i am so sorry to hear about Roger. Thankyou for your kind words for Charlie. Will keep you posted.

tara

Reaction score
Charlie to the vet

Today i took Charlie to our vet, i was surprised at the knowledge he had on axies. Charlie has no gravel in him, he has a bacterial infection, he has a small blister growing on top of his head . The vet did not have the correct medicine for Charlie, so he said to do salt baths till he can get the medicine in. (The vet knew about giving axies fish medicine that it can be toxic) The vet did say it was his opinion that it is to late for Charlie, that he is to sick to recover, but i will keep doing the salt baths and hope for the best. I feel bad now, if i had taken Charlie to the vet sooner, he may well have gotten better, but now i know for next time....there are vets that do know about axies. How many salt baths should i do per day ????. I forgot to ask the vet. Thankyou.

Last edited:

tara

Reaction score
looks the same

Chalies is still with us, his blister is no bigger, he stills walks around, but is so thin. Thank you Bellabelloo, i will continue with the salt bats twice a day.

kapo

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about Charlie, I hope he does manage to pull through. One axie owner in UK, Sherrisixx, had an axolotl with a bacterial infection s/he was sick for majority of the year and managed to pull through last year, so here's hoping Charlie does too.

tara

Reaction score
thankyou

Thankyou Kapo, yes Charlie is my favourite he is my gentle giant, it's heartbreaking to watch him slip away, but i won't give up hope.

tara

Reaction score
still waiting

I rang the vet again today, he is still waiting for the medication to arrive meanwhile Charlie has another blister on his head. It looks like he has two extra eyes on top of his head, they are a lighter colour than his skin. I am still continuing his salt baths, he never moves when i lift him from his container to his salt bath container and back again. I hope he knows that i am trying to help and not hurt him, i talk to him the whole time, i know he doesn't know what i am saying but...if you talk in a soft voice, he knows that im there and he's not alone. He hasn't eaten now for 15 days. Does anyone know if there is any product than i can add to the water to help him fight this infection??? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thankyou.

tara

Reaction score
Charlie to the vet.

The vet has the antibiotics, Charlie has had his first injection, he gave him amikacin, we have to go every day for an injection for a week, plus keep up with the salt baths. He said the next few days will tell how it will go.So i have crossed my fingers and hoping for a good outcome.

kapo

Reaction score
Glad to hear the vet finally has antibiotics, hope he improves, keep us posted!

Donna

Reaction score
Thats good to hear Tara at least now you know what is wrong with him. I think Roger may have had a bacterial infection too. I didnt think vets knew about axies ill know for next time to go to the vet. All the best for Charlie hope he gets through.

tara

Reaction score
injection no 2

Well Charlie seems to be tolerating the injections well. He is so good, being transported to the vet each day plus having his salt baths, it doesn't seem to bother him. The vet says he looks a bit better, but i can't see it. Tomorrow i am going to try and get him to eat something. As he is in cold water (not in the fridge) in his holding container, what would be the best way to warm the water a little to tempt him to eat? All help is appreciated. Thankyou.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1