Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Average age?

naymo

Reaction score
Hey there everyone.

I was just wondering if its possible to give an estimate age based on the size(length) of an axie?
I really dont have a clue how old Banda and my new leucistic Gypsy is , and I would like a rough age for them.
Can anyone help.

Banda is 19-20cm or roughly 7.8-7.9 inches

Gypsy is roughly the same about 18-19cm or roughly 7.0-7.5 inches

Just wondering really.

Thanks for your time.
Sinead, Banda and Gypsy

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Once they reach adult size (7 inches or so), no, you can't really figure out age. That is, unless you cut them in half and count the rings ;)

naymo

Reaction score
HAha! thats a good one Kaysie.

So they are round about adults? I know they arent a year old..so they must be nearly a year then?
I dunno damn it..

Jake

Reaction score
Do you know the person who originally raised it? They might know, but as far as size goes, I have some that are 8 inches at 3 years old, and one that is 11 inches at just over a year old, so it varies from axie to axie. Sorry this isn't much help, but it's the hard truth. If it is around a year then it should have at least 10 years of life left in it. My friend has a few that he's had since 1980! They're 16 inches long now.

naymo

Reaction score
wow! thats amazing
Not its ok just was wondering if it was possible ^^
As for me knowing the original raiser, I dont they are both petshop axies.
I asked once how old she thought they were..she just looked at me and was like oh not very old..

I was thinking to myself Geez thats a great help, not very old could mean, a baby,a juvineile or even and adult.
Stupid petshop people. ^^ no offence to anyone whos a petshop worker..but in general I havent met one who knows anything or is helpful about axies.

mantighoul

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Not to be too off topic but i'd love to see a fat 17 year old 16inch axolotl. I wonder what is the axolotl age record in captivity? Longest I had one so far is 4 and a half years, hope he(melanistic) lives that long.

Jake

Reaction score
I'll see him at an animal expo on the 5th and I'll ask him to post some pics...I think he's a forum member now, but I'm not positive.

laurasplanb

Reaction score
if they under a year old but around 7 inches... id guess then that they are about 8 -12 months old... because mine grew really quickly up until they were 6 months olds, at 6 months they were just alittle smaller than full size, then their growing slowed down, and they grew an about an other 2 inchs between the age of 6months to a year n a half.. hope it helps but all axies are different

Ed

Reaction score
Using size as a rule of thumb as to age means that you are making some assumptions that are probably incorrect. Growth is directly related to nutritional input, water quality, competition, stress and temperature when all of these are optimized for growth then the growth of the animal can be maximized. If any of these are less than optimal for growth then the growth rate at the same age will be different.

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!