Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

newts and smoke

lims

Reaction score
I have 3 cynops orientalis, 2 of which are terrestrial, living on an island of spider plants, moss and creeping jenny in a smallish tank.
I am moving house and was considering keeping them in the main living room, people will smoke in this room, I am assuming it is not a good idea to have newts in a room where people might smoke, what are the risks? How bad is smoke for newts? Obviously no-one will blow smoke into the tank, but it will be in the air...

freves

Reaction score
I would not keep the animals in a room where they would be exposed to frequent smoke. I seriously doubt that anyone has done any studies on the effects of second hand smoke on salamanders however it could not be a healthy environment. Looking at all of the research that shows many of the health problems second hand smoke can cause in humans it only makes sense that this would apply to, and most likely be much worse in, a small animal with semipermeable skin as well.
Chip

Abrahm

Reaction score
I'm definitely going to have to agree with Chip here. Smoking releases all sorts of nasty compounds into the atmosphere and some of these are small particulates. These will eventually settle and some will make it into your aquarium. If the animals take up these toxins and if they have chronic effects the lifespan of your newts will be dramatically decreased. There is a lot of hearsay in my thoughts, but I wouldn't want to risk it. The same situation occurs from air freshners and other aerosols used near the newt/salamander environment. I wouldn't risk anything of the type.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!